< --Previous Up Next–>
City Hall Square
Life Span: 1912-1950/1965
Location: 139 N. Clark
Architect: Christian A. Eckstorm
City Hall Square Theater
1922 Chicago Central Business and Office Guide
The City Hall Square Building occupies the premises Nos. 127 to 139 North Clark street, directly across from the County Building and City Hall. This location, in the heart of the Loop, makes office space in the building unusually desirable for lawyers, builders, architects, contractors, etc.
The building is a thoroughly modern twenty-story reproof office building, with a frontage of 111 feet on Clark street and a depth of 70 feet on Court place. with an open-light court in the rear 111 feet wide and 90 feet deep.
Unusually large elevators, with a speed of 600 feet per minute, and equipped with all the modern safety devices and electric signals, insure quick, reliable service.
A thoroughly modern system of steam vacuum heating with thermostat regulation is installed here.
The building was erected under the personal supervision of the architect, Mr. C. A. Eckstorm.
Chicago Tribune, March 7, 1962
The Chicago Public Buildings Commission has acquired the first two of 14 parcels of property sought as the site for the new civic center in in the square block just east of the County building, Mayor Daley announced yesterday,
The commission will pay $2,215,000 for the two parcels.
$750,000 Purchase Pice.
The commission will pay $1,750,000 for the City Hall Square building, 139 N. Clark st., which includes restaurants, stores, the Erlanger theater, and offices on upper floors. The land area is 17,000 square feet. The property is owned by the late Ledvi Leiter, Chicago merchant.
The commission will pay $765,000 for the 14 story Cunard building, 140 N. Dearborn st., with 4,000 square feet of land. The sellers are Edward Gold and Wimpy Grills, Inc., which Gold heads.
City Hall Square
139 N. Clark