Life Span: 1862-1891
Location: Park Place, 1/2 Block North of 12th Street, East to the Lake
Architect: W. W. Boyington
Chicago Illustrated, December, 1866
Park Row takes its name from a block of brown stone buildings which for a long time stood alone, facing the South end of the Lake Park, the right resting upon the Lake Shore. Since then, other buildings of white stone have been built between the Row and Michigan Avenue. It is one of the finest residence locations in the city. Among those residing on this place are W. F. Coolbaugh, Esq., C. G. Wicker, Esq., Col. John VanArman, Henry G. Miller, Esq., John Van Ayer, Esq., and others.
James W. Sheehan
Chicago Illustrated, February 1866
Michigan Avenue from Park Row
THIS is one of the most frequented and familiar scenes to the residents of Chicago, and is presented in this view as seen from Park Row. We have already had a view of the northern part of the lake park, including Central Depot and vicinity. This view includes the whole of the park. The picture, however, is intended to give a view of which are envied the distinction which is supposed to attach to the occupants of a dwelling on this magnificent avenue. The portion represented in this view is about one mile in length, and embraces all that part of it which commands an unobstructed view of the lake. Built, as it is, only upon one side, and fronting the lake, it has always been sought as a desirable place of residence. Time has been, and that not so very remote, when the portion of Michigan Avenue represented in this view was equal to the accommodation of those who were regarded as the leaders of fashion and the possessors of unusual wealth,—but these times have passed. Wealth and fashion, unable to find room in this contracted space, have gone elsewhere and refinement, taste and display, which have made Wabash, Indiana, and Calumet Avenues, and certain localities in the North and West Divisions, such favorite places of residence; yet, while in other parts of the city, there are larger and more magnificent dwellings, and more of them, Michigan Avenue still enjoys the name of being the central abode of Chicago elegance and wealth. The improvements which have been made upon this street during the past few years have been both extensive and costly. Commencing at Dearborn Park, where Washington street intersects the avenue, and extending south to Park Row, the avenue presents a succession of elegant dwellings. South of Van Buren street is Terrace Block, a compactly built row of residences, equalling any equal number in the city. There are several houses yet to be built to complete the original design of the row.
A number of old citizens, those who have grown up with Chicago, have resided on this street. Some of these have died, and in some cases their families continue to occupy the mansions, while in others new comers have taken their places. The families of the late Judge Manierre and of George Steel, Esq., are of this latter class. In the list of those who gave held official position, and whose dwellings form part of the display of this portion of the avenue are Bishop Duggan, Judge H. T. Dickey, Lieutenant Governor Bross, Hon. J. Y. Scammon, Judge John M. Wilson, J. H. Bowen, Esq., Thomas Hoyne, Esq., Hon, Norman B. Judd, William Blair, Tuthill King, S. C. Griggs, S. B. Cobb, G. M. Kimbark, Chauncy Bowen, S. J. Surdam, Hon. W. S. Gurnee, Hon. J. L. Schipps, P. L. Yoe, Jerome Beecher, N. D. Gilman, and others.
James W. Sheahan
Park Place, East to the Lake
Park Row in relation to the Chicago Fire of October, 1871
Robinson Fire Insurance Map
In 1890 Park Row was torn down and replaced by the Illinois Central Station on 12th and Michigan.