Michigan Terrace, Terrace Row
Life Span: 1856-1871
Location: Michigan Ave between Congress and Van Buren Streets
Architect: W. W. Boyington
The Chicago Weekly Tribune, February 2, 1856
ELEGANT BLOCK ON MICHIGAN AVENUE.—The plans of a block of residences on Michigan avenue, which is to expand entirely from Van Buren street to Taylor street, are to be seen at the office of Wm. Boyington, Architect, in Dickey & Manierre’s block on Dearborn street, near the post-office. The block embraces fourteen houses, each twenty-seven feet front, five stories high, with basement, except two in the centre, and upon each end, which will be five-and-a-half stories and be crowned with observatories. The block will be of white Athens marble, and the plan is that the row will be very imposing and beautiful. The fronts are eighteen feet from the street, and are all in line. Underneath the basement cellars are to be constructed the full site of the house, the first time such a plan has been adopted in Chicago.
One of the houses which will compose this elegant block is already up and inclosed, and most if not all the others will be commenced in the spring. The architect informs us that there is no row in Boston or New York, or in any of the eastern cities, which will begin to compare with this one in elegant beauty and uniformity of design and finish. The inside houses will cost by estimate about $12,000 each, the two centre and end houses about $15,000 each. The following are the names of some of those who design occupying this new block: J. Y. Scammon, Hon. F. C. Sherman, Hon. H. T. Dickey, Henry McCauley, John Sears, Tuthill King, S. C. Griggs and John L. Clarke.
Michigan Terrace , Michigan Avenue looking towards Central Depot by E. Whitefield
Owned & occupied by: 1. J. Y. Scammon, 2. J. L. Clark, 3. B. F. Sherman, 4. H. T. Dickey, 5. Tuthill King, 6. S. C. Griggs, 7. P. F. M. Peck, 8. W. Bross, 9. Chas. Walker, 10. P. L. Yoe, 11. Denton Gurney.
Weekly Chicago Times, January 8, 1857
The following ten buildings comprise what is called the Marble Terrace:
A five story brick dwelling house, with white marble front, 28 by 69 feet, for F. C. Sherman,— W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $30,000.
A four story brick dwelling house, with white marble front, 26 by 60 feet, for F. C. Sherman. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $20,000.
Another four story brick building, with white marble front, 26 by 60 feet, for Charles Walker. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $20,000.
Another four story brick dwelling bouse, with white marble front, 26 by 50 feet, for Wm. Bross. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $20,000. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $20,000.
Another four story brick dwelling house, with white marble front, 26 by 68 feet, for John Sears, jr. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $20,000.
Another four story brick dwelling house, with white marble front, 26 by 68 feet, for J. C. Griggs. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $20,000.
A five story brick dwelling house, with white marble front, 26 by 73 feet, for Tuthill King. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $23,000.
A five story brick dweiling house, 28 by 65 feet, for H. T. Dickey, white marble front. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $23,000.
A four story brick dwelling house, 26 by 76 feet, with white marble front, for Henry McAuley. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $20,000.
À four story brick dwelling house, with white marble front, 26 by 53 feet, for J. L. Clark. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $15,000.
A four story brick dwelling house, with white marble front, 23 by 113 feet, for J. Y. Scammon, Esq. W. W. Boyington, architect; cost $30,000.
The above fine block is 378 feet in length, 4 stories high, with attic story, basement and cellar The two centre and the two end houses are carried up one story higher than the others, and are surmounted with a beautiful observatory, which adds very much to the appearance of the whole.
Chicago Tribune, November 26, 1859
SALE OF A MARBLE RESIDENCE.– We learn that the fine marble residence of Henry Macauley, Esq., in Michigan Terrace was sold yesterday on a mortgage sale for $17,500 cash. It is understood that B. F. Sherman, Esq. is the purchaser.
Chicago Tribune, December 29, 1859
CITY IMPROVEMENTS.—We learn that F. C. Sherman, Esq., owner of the Sherman House, has sold the beautiful residence next south of his own, in Michigan Terrace, Michigan Avenue, to the Illinois Stone Company, taking in payment Joliet marble in sufficient quantity to rebuild the Sherman House, which will be commenced early in the spring. The new edifice to take the place of the present Sherman House, will be one of the most splendid for hotel purposes in the Western country. It will have a front on Clark street of about 200 feet, reaching to Couch Place, and about 100 feet on Randolph street, marble front, five stories high, and to be finished internally in the fine. style of the art. Mr. Sherman retains his own splendid residence on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Van Buren street.
Chicago Tribune, December 30, 1859
The price received by Hon. F. C. Sherman for his splendid house in Michigan Terrace adjoining his own residence, was $22,500.
Chicago Tribune, January 6, 1862
Dwelling for J. Y. Scammon, Michigan avenue; four stories and basement—marble front, 28×113. Cost $25,000. Expended in 1861, $4,000.
History of Chicago; Its Commercial and Manufacturing Interests and Industry, Isaac D.Guyer, 1862
Chicago Tribune, May 2, 1865
The Route of President Lincoln’s Procession
Number 202 Michigan avenue—the residence of Hon. Wm. Bross, Lieutenant Governor of the State, presented a most imposing appearance. It was beautifully draped with black and white crape, interspersed with the additional colors also heavily craped.
Hon. John Y. Scammon’s house, No. 209 Michigan avenue, also was tastefully decorated. On the balcony was a bust of the President surrounded by wreaths of immortelles, and surmounted in the back ground by a cherub. The main entrance to the house was massively draped, the parti-colored cambric being relieved by the Anchor of Hope prettily arranged amid the drapery.
Chicago Evening Post, May 8, 1868
In 1857, Terrace Row, on Michigan avenue, was constructed, and Mr. Tuthill King moved into one of the residences, renting his block—including his own home where he had lived for thirteen years—to Mr. Shepley, who used them as a boarding house till the year 1865, when they were fitted up as offices, for which purpose they have been used till the present time. They are now being cleared away to give place to the Merchants’ Insurance building.
Looking South from Michigan and Van Buren
The gardens of Jonathan Y. Scannon can be seen in the foreground.
Views by John Carbutt
Michigan Avenue from Breakwater. Michigan Terrace is on the left and Trinity Church can be seen also.
Photographer: Copelin and Melander
Michigan Avenue Terrace Ruins
Chicago Tribune, October 14, 1871
J. Y. Scammon has already broken ground on his lot immediately south of the late Terrace Block, and will build immediately a frame block, 120×120 feet, of one-story stores, with a two-story front four offices. There will be three of these stores. The first will be occupied by Geo. C. Cook & Co., wholesale grocers, the second by Henderson & Co., boots and shoes, and the third by William H. King & Co. It is also lutimated that Mr. Scammon will reopen the Marine Bank in the addition which he had begun to make to his late residence, and which was spared.
Chicago Tribune, December 3, 1871
Charles G. Wicker thought the blowing up of buildings was absolutely necessary. The fire could not have been checked without blowing them up. He believed it was owing to the efforts made there by the Mayor, Commissioner Sheridan, and those who were with him on Harrison street, that the fire was checked at that point. Michigan Terrace could have been saved with another engine.
Michigan Avenue, Between Van Buren and Congress
Michigan Terrace in relation to the Chicago Fire of October, 1871