Life Span: 1864-1871
Location: SW Corner of Dearborn & Madison Streets
The four story Hawley Block was built in 1872. Block buildings at this time had business on the ground level and residential apartments in the upper stories. The four story Reynold’s Building occupied the site of the Hawley Block, before 1871, The home of Dr. C.V. Dyer stood on the site even before the Reynold’s Building. The Hawley Block was torn down in 1882 to make room for the first section of the Montauk Building.
Next door was the Post Office and Custom House.
Chicago Tribune, June 22, 1864
Temporary Removal.—John R. Walsh, well and widely known in the news trade, has removed temporarily to the store No. 102 Madison street, three doors west of his old stand, while the latter, on the corner of Madison and Dearborn street, is being built up with an elaborate store, which Mr. Walsh is to occupy, on its completion. He is enterprising, and well deserves his success.
John Walsh’s store stood on the corner of Madison and Custom House—so named by Mr. Walsh. The front of his store, on the Place, was thirty-six feet from the wall as shown in cut; the front line of Reynold’s Block was fifty feet from the same wall.
SW Corner of Dearborn & Madison Streets
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Leave a Reply