Chicago, Illustrated, December, 1866
LAKE AND WELLS STREET.-This view is of an ordinary scene at the crossing of Wells and Lake Streets. In the distance, looking north, may be seen the Wells Street bridge. This portion of Wells street was paved with the Nicholson block pavement in 1855-6, the first of that kind of pavement laid in Chicago, and is yet in a good state of preservation. Mears and Rockwood’s wholesale drug and paint establishment is in the building on the north-west corner. The patent “spring bed” factory is in the same building. This is one of the busiest street crossings in Chicago.
James W. Sheehan, Esq.,