< --Previous Up Next–>
Life Span: 1884-1920
Location: NW corner of S. LaSalle and W. Jackson
Architect: Burnham & Root,
Occupying but 56 feet on La Salle and 60 on Jackson Street, stands almost at the door of the Board of Trade. It is all steel inside; 9 stories and basement, 145 feet high, and has 7S offices. There are 2 elevators and 300 occupants—grain and insurance men. The building was erected in 1884 and cost $325,000.
Robinson Fire Map 1886
Volume 1, Plate 1
it was removed in 1920 along with the Gaff Building (1884), Mallers Building (1884), and Royal Insurance Building (1885) for the Federal Reserve Bank.
Mallers, Gaff & Counselman Buildings (arrow) which were all removed in 1920 and replaced by the Federal Reserve Bank
GAFF building, 1884-1920, was at 230 S. LaSalle street, on the site of the present Federal Reserve Bank building. It was nine stories high, with a high basement, on spread foundations. Stephen V. Shipman was the architect.