< --Previous Up Next–>
Central Union Block (Union National Bank)
Life Span: 1871-1903
Location: Northwest corner of Market and Madison streets
Architect: F. and E. Baumann
History of Chicago, A. T. Andreas, 1884
THE UNION NATIONAL BANK
Whcn the fire of 1871 burned the building at the corner of Lake and LaSalle streets, then occupied by the Union National Bank, it was necessary for that institution to find some place in which to re-open its business. C. T. Wheeler, then vice-president of the Union National, tendered the use of a portion of his residence on Wabash Avenue, and for a few months business was transacted there. In the fall of 1871, Messrs. Coolbaugh, Powers and Wheeler erected the Central Union Block on Madison Street, near the river, and the busincss was transferred to it in December of that year. In 1873, they again removed to their present location, handsome quarters in the Union Building, at the southwest corner of Washington and LaSalle streets.
The Central Union Block
Northwest Corner Madison and Market Streets (Burnt District)
Erected in Sixty Days By Hon. W. F. Coolbaugh and Messrs. Wheeler & Powers.
The Land Owner, February 1872
④ National Union Bank
Chicago Tribune, April 30, 1903
The negotiations for a consolidation of the ownership of the Central Union block at the northwest corner of Market and Madison streets, are said to be making progress. The building is owned by a corporation known as the Central Union Building company, the stockholders in which were Chief Justice Fuller and the late C. T. Wheeler. Upon the death of Mr. Wheeler his interest passed to the Allens of New York City. It is understood that the building company. which has a lease on the ground, with eighteen years yet to run, is negotiating for the purchase of the ground.
Central Union Block
Robinson Fire Map 1886
Volume 3, Plate 2