Life Span: 1873-1941
Location: NE Corner Madison & Franklin Streets
Architect: Cochrane & Miller
From Rand McNally & Co.’s Bird’s-Eye Views of Chicago, 1893
Fronts 100 feet on Madison and 200 feet on Franklin Street, at the northeast corner. It is 80 feet high, with 6 stories and basement. It was remodeled in 1892, and is a stone-front of 1873. It has 6 stores and 2 elevators. The tenants are wholesale jobbers and manufacturers’ agents.
In the 1875-76 Chicago Directory addresses were as follows:
Carson Pirie Scott & Co. NE corner Madison and Franklin
Tuttle, Thompson & Wetmore 211-213 Madison
M. Selz 219 Madison
Excerpt from Chicago Tribune, August 15, 1875
ALONG MADISON STREET
The wholesale trade of Chicago has many extensive and prominent establishments, but none more favorably known throughout the entire Northwest than Carson. Pirie, Scott & Co. This fine establishment is located on Madison and Franklin streets, and contains within its colossal proportions every article known to the wholesale dry-goode trade.
The fine retail establishment on West Madison and Peoria streets is also owned by this firm. This latter concern is one of the most popular trading resorts in the city, and attracts a large share of the best custom of Chicago. bv its magnificent display and elegance of stoch. THE TRIBUNE knows of no concern that has done more for the wholesale and retail trade of Chicago than Carson, Pirie. Scott & Co..
The Land Owner
Chicago and Its Resources, Twenty Years After (1871-1891)
Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co.—This is one of the great wholesale dry goods houses of Chicago. During the first week in July last it transferred its immense stock and belongings to its new store on the corner of Adams and Franklin Streets from the corner of Madison and Franklin which they had so long occupied. While the distance is only about two blocks yet it required more than 100 large trucks working three days, and with an army of assistants to effect the transfer. Not withstanding the gigantic labor involved in this removal the house had everything in place ready fur business by July 6th. The new store has more than 50,000 square feet larger floor space than their old premises, and is in the very heart of the wholesale district. It is said that there is only one dry goods house west of the Alleghanies, and two in the entire country which does as large a business, or which employs as large an active capital.
The volume of business for 1891 exceeded in round numbers $l6,000,000. It maintains expert buyers in the great continental cities of Europe to gather the finest novelties that genius can produce. They have also accorded a generous support to domestic manufacturers, provided always that the quality of the goods would warrant it. They employ about 2,000 hands in their several departments, a majority of whom have been with the house for a great number of years. Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. are pressing their largest rivals so closely for the supremacy of the trade, that they have won for themselves the most generous recognition of the entire trade. Chicago has made giant strides in commerce and manufacturing in the last few years, a large share of which has been due to the energy, foresight and self-confidence of her pioneer merchants, among whom are Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co.
Rand McNally’s Bird’s-Eye Views of Chicago