Chicago Illustrated May 1866
This view represents one of the busiest street scenes in Chicago. It is taken from the North front of the Court House, and takes in the North side of Randolph street from Clark to State street. The central point in view is Wood’s Museum. It has a front of about seventy-five feet. The stores are occupied by H. M. Higgins, the well-known piano and music dealer, and by Ideson & Co., for rubber goods, all of the building above these stores, in its height and depth, is occupied exclusively by the Museum, and the Lecture room. The signs and flags indicate that Col. Wood, the proprietor, knows he has a good thing, and that he does not hide it in the dark. Since the destruction of Barnum’s Museum in New York, the Chicago Museum stands without rival. It embraces all the objects of curiosity common to all first-class collections, and is remarkable for its specialties. It is the largest collection of such objects now on this continent, and the arrangement for display and for the convenience and comfort of visitors are admirable. Col. Wood puts down the 150,000 as the number of his curiosities of every kind. If any person doubts it, let him make the enumeration.
Until 1862, nothing of this kind had been attempted in Chicago, or west of New York, and in no place in the West, but Chicago, could such an enterprize have been matured in so short a time, and with such unequaled success. The tact and the ability of the proprietor, of course, had much to do, but it was eventually the liberal taste of the public that made it a success. The proper way to account for the success of such an extensive experiment, is probably give Col. Wood credit for the sagacity in discovering that Chicago was the only city outside of New York where people had the cultivation and liberality to encourage and maintain a Museum of such large proportions and heavy expenditures.
Connected with the Museum is a Lecture Room, which is nicely fitted up in the style of a Theatre, and where you produced sterling plays. The company engaged in the production of these plays include representatives of very branch of the dramatic profession, and in point of numbers and in excellence, will compare favorably with any similar company in the United States. The success of this part of Col. Wood’s Museum has been in keeping with that of his general enterprise.
On the corner of Clark Street is the well known general ticket office of the Pittsburgh and Fort Wayne Railroad, and all of its connecting lines. It is one of the railroad centres of Chicago.
To the right of the Museum, is the justly celebrated sign painting establishment of B. F. Chase, who for twenty years has been the sign artist of Chicago. The business of the establishment is now carried on by Chase & Hild.
The artist has made a very truthful copy of the various signs that indicate the business and occupation of the occupants of the several buildings adjoining the Museum. They can be discovered without any editorial reference. Three lines of horse-railway cars pass this corner, which, with one exception, is the most crowded crossing in Chicago.
Artist: Louis Kurz
Author: James W. Sheahan
Publisher: Jevne & Almini
Printer: Chicago Lithographing Co., 62-64 Clark Street