A wonderful view of the city from Chicago’s first North Shore suburban development, Lake View. In 1854, the Lake View House hotel was built near Lake Shore Drive and Byron Street. The area was first developed as farm land (celery was the principal crop), but as wealthy Chicagoans looked for a summer retreat and new immigrants created a demand for suburban housing, and as the development of railroad lines allowed for easy access to the city, Lake View became a prosperous residential area. This lovely scene shows the city in the distance across a still rural foreground.
View from Lake View House
Artist: Louis Kurz
Publisher: Jevne & Almini
Published: March 1866
***FIRST PAGE TO COME***
of Kentucky, very extensively and handsomely improved. Mr. Waller calls his place “Buena Vista.” Immediately on the lake shore is the beautiful villa of the Rev. F. W. Ewing, surrounded by grounds very finely decorated. This spot is appropriately named “Rose Heath.” “Woodland” is the residence of our well-known citizen, Doctor Dyer. It is situated, as its name indicates, immediately at the extremity of the grove which adjoins the limits of the city on the north. This place is very complete in all its appointments and surroundings.
The residence of Albert Sturges, Esq., of the banking firm of Messrs. Solomon Sturges’ Sons, adjoins that of Doctor Dyer. This beautiful home, deserving of a name in every way indicative of culture, no doubt has its title, but we failed to learn it. The newly finished dwelling of W. C. Goudy, Esq., completely embowered in the same grove with the two last named, is specially deserving of mention. Immediately at the limits of the city we have “Norwood,” the residence of Hon. Ebenezer Peck. Very rarely do we find more elegance and finish than this place shows. It is surrounded by fine native oaks, interspersed with other deciduous and evergreen trees.
Our space fails us, or we would particularize farther the beauties of this suburban settlement. The horse cars, starting from the corner of Lake and State streets, carry passengers away to the extreme end of, and past, all these points, to Graceland Cemetery, that beautiful city of the dead, in which are found some of the most elaborately finished resting places of the loved ones gone.
Saunders’ floral establishment, (a large grapery to be erected at once) cottages, villas, and improvements of various kinds, greet the eye as we ride along, and make Lake View a very elegant and desirable place of residence.
It will be perceived that the harbor, the shipping, the lighthouse at its entrance, the water-works, and the whole east or lake-side view of the city, are in full sight from the shore north. This beach is to be improved with a drive of one hundred feet in width, of which fifty feet vin the middle are to be given to the drive-way, and twenty-five in width at each side for trees. This drive, when completed, will be one of the most elegant in the world. A charter for this improvement was obtained at the last session of the Legislature. There is also a very liberal charter, appointing commissioners for the location of a park of six hundred and fifty acres in the town of Lake View, to which this drive is to lead., The plan and designs of this park promise one second only to the New York Central.
James W. Sheahan, Esq.