< --Previous Up Next–>
Washington Park Club
Life Span: 1884-1905
Location: East 61st Street & South Cottage Grove Ave
Washington Park Club
Chicago Engraving Company
The objects of the organization called the Washington Park Club, which was incorporated in 1883, are to promote good fellowship among its members by providing a club house and pleasure grounds for their entertainment where at all times they may meet for social intercourse, and to encourage, by providing the proper facilities, raising, improving, breeding, training and exhibiting horses, at meetings to be held at stated times in each year. The Club House at Sixty-first Street and South Park Avenue is a low, long, rambling two story building, with broad piazzas on all sides of the house. From its situation, within easy driving distance from the centre of the city, and with its beautiful grounds, the Washington Park offers all the advantages of a country club, such as have become so popular of late in the leading eastern cities. The race course, with all its appurtenances, is one of the finest in the country.
The racing meetings have been pre-eminently successful, and the Club, by its energy and wisdom, has done much to improve and elevate the sport. Aside from this, the Club offers many attractions in its handsome house and the excellence of its service and cuisine. The initiation fee is one hundred and fifty dollars, from the payment of which, however, subscribers for one thousand dollars or more of the original capital stock of the organization, are exempt. The dues are forty dollars a year. The families of the various members, with the exception of sons who have attained the age of twenty-one years, are entitled to all the privileges of the Club.
Owing to the death of General Philip H. Sheridan, the office of President is at present vacant. The Vice-Presidents are Messrs. Samuel W. Allerton, Albert S. Gage, Charles Schwartz and Columbus R. Cummings; Treasurer, John K. Walsh; Secretary, John E. Brewster; Messrs. Norman B. Eeam, James W. Oakley, Charles J. Barnes, J. Henry Norton, Samuel H. Sweet, George H. Wheeler, Charles J. Singer, John E. Brewster, Wirt D. Walker, John B. Carson, James Van Inwagen, Charles D. Hamill, John Dupee (Jr.), John H. McAvoy, Thomas Cratty, Charles Schwartz, Nathaniel K. Fail-bank, Samuel W. Allerton, Columbus K. Cummings, John E. Walsh, Albert S. Gage, Henry J. Macfarland, and Thomar: Murdoch, comprise the Board of Directors.