< --Previous Up Next–>
Moving down the centre of the building- toward the north is one of the spaces of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company of Pittsburgh. The Westinghouse people were slow to indicate that they would exhibit, as they feared that the great incandescent lamp contract would employ all their time and money.
Their business and standing, financially, was so improved, however, with the securing of that contract that they decided to show a full line of apparatus, especially artistic lighting with station service and railway apparatus. Their presence in the building is emphasized on the south wall, by a mural decoration in incandescent lamps, showing the figure of Columbus with the names, dates 1492-1892, and some beautiful scroll work. Altogether 1988 incandescent lamps of 16 candle-power in frosted and plain white and colors are employed in this artistic piece of work. On the ground floor a special dark building is used to illuminate the recent and absorbingly interesting developments made by Nicola Tesla, of the use of high tension alternating currents. Lafge glass plates backed with tin foil,- on which are outlined, in paper, various figures, are used, and on them the play of the electric spark produces effects that are dazzling and extremely beautiful. A voltage of 30/000 is used up to the condensers, and after it leaves them it is estimated that the current has a power of two million volts. Mr. Tesla also shows a number of other interesting experiments, some of which are so marvelous as to be almost beyond description. The Westinghouse Company also has, as an exhibit, almost the entire display of incandescent lighting on the grounds. To execute this enormous work they have built and installed, within the year, twelve generators of a total capacity each of 15,000 incandescent lights of 16 candlepower each. These are installed in Machinery Hall, adjacent to the steam plant, from which point the current is distributed throughout the grounds.