Chicago Catholic Churches,
Life Span: 1876
Publisher: Dahlgren & Siercks
Printer: Chicago Lithographing Co.
Cathedral of the Holy Name, Cor. Superior and State, Right Rev. Thomas Foley, D.D., Bishop of Chicago, Rev. J. McMullen D. D.
Church of the Annunciation, Cor. Paulina and Waubansia, Rev. Thos. J. Edwards
Church of the Holy Family, Cor. May and Twelfth, Rev. A. Damen, S. J.
Church of Notre Dame de Chicago (French), Halsted cor. Congress, Rev. J. Cote
Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, 1406 W. Jackson, Rev. A. Morini, O.S.
Church of the Sacred Heart, Cor. Luke and John, Rev. M. Corbett, S. J.
Convent of the Sisters of Mercy, Wabash av. cor. Twenty-ninth, Mother M. Genevieve, Superior
St. Adalbert’s Church, Cor. W. Seventeenth and Paulina, Rev. D. Majer
St. Anthony of Padua Church, Cor. Hanover and McGregor, Rev. Peter Fischer
St. Boniface Church, Cornell, cor. Noble, Rev. Cl. Venn
St. Bridget’s Church, Archer av, cor. Church pl., Rev. John H. Grogan
St. Columbkill’s Church, Cor. N. Paulina and W. Indiana, Rev. Thomas Burke
St. Francis Assissum Church, Cor. Twelfth and Newberry av., Rev. Fred. Calvelage
St. Ignatius College Prep, 413 W. Twelfth, Rev. J. De Blieck, S. J.
St. James Church, Prairie av. near Twenty-sixth, Rev. P. W. Riordan
St. Jariath’s Church (not illustrated), Hermitage and W. Jackson, Rev. Th. F. Cashman
St. John’s Church, Cor. Clark and Eighteenth, Rev. John Waldron
St. John Nepomoscene’s Church, Twenty-fifth and Portland, Rev. Wm. Choka
St. Michael’s Church, Cass and Huron, Rev. J. DeDycker, C. SS. R.
St. Mary’s Church, Cor. Wabash av. and Eldridge ct., Rev. P. M. Noonan
St. Patrick’s Church, Cor. Desplaines and W. Adams, Rev. P. J. Conway
St. Peter’s Church (German), Cor. Clark and Polk, Rev. P. Liborius Schaefermeyer, O. S. F.
St. Pius’ Church, Cor. Paulina and Van Horn, Rev. Hugh McGuire
St. Stanislaus Kostka’s Church (Polish), Cor. Noble and Bradley, Rev. V. Barzynski, C. R. D. N.
St. Stephen’s Church, N. Sangamon cor. W. Ohio, Rev. S. M. A. Barrett
St. Vincent Church, Webster av., cor. Osgood, Rev. E. M. Smith
St. Wencesclaus’ Church (Bohemian), 173 DeKoven, Rev. J. Molitor
Alexian Brothers Hospital, 539 to 559 N. Market
St. Joseph Hospital, Sophia, Cor. Burling
Mercy Hospital, Calumet av. cor. Twenty-sixth,
BACKGROUND OF CHICAGO LITHOGRAPHING COMPANY.
The artistic merit of Chicago Illustrated (1866-1867) was due largely to the choice of a capable artist and lithographer. Louis Kurz was an Austrian who made his way to Chicago in 1852. For eight years he worked as a “scenic artist,” and then turned to lithography. In 1863 he joined with several others (Otto Knirsch, and Edward Carqueville), to form the Chicago Lithographing Company, which quickly made a name for itself. Like Jevn and Almini, the company came to an end in 1871. After the fire Kurz established the American Oleograph Company at Milwaukee. There he remained until 1878, when he moved the company to Chicago. Two years later he formed a partnership with Alexander, and spent the last years of his life turning out hundreds of gorgeously garish chromolithographs of by which the firm of Kurz and Allison is know today.
Afte the fire, Edward Carqueville teamed up with Charles Shober to continue the business of the Chicago Lithographing Co.
Excerpted from Chicago Tribune, July 24, 1875
The fourth floor (of the Lakeside Building) is occupied by Charles Shober & Co., proprietors of the Chicago Lithographing Company. Their lithographing establishment is the largest but one in the country, and they are turning out at least twice as much work as all other lithographic houses in the city combined. They excel in all the different branches of their art—photo-lithographing included. The proprietors, Charles Shober and Edward Carqueville, are both practical lithographers, pay close attention to their business, and superintend personally their extensive establishment. They are prepared to execute all orders in the way of lithography in the best styles, and, at the lowest possible prices, will always guarantee first-class work, and their facilities are such that even the largest orders can be promptly filled. The working force of the establishment numbers about 120 men, artists, printers, etc., and the machinery department includes eight steam presses of the best patterns, some twenty hand-presses, besides various miscellaneous machines. In illustration of of their superior working capacity it may be well to state that they turned out, besides an immense amount of commercial work, labels, and show-cards, city views, wall maps, and a number of county atlases, Capt. A. T. Andreas’ illustrated atlas of Minnesota, comprising several hundreds of pages of fine farm and city views, maps, plats, etc., all beautifully lithographed, and part finely printed State atlas of Iowa, in an edition upwards of 20,000 copies, a book containing several hundred pages of fine fine line-engravings, crayon views, portraits, amps, etc., making a contract three times as large as that of the Minnesota atlas, inside of six months from date of receipt of order. The office of Charles Shober & Co. is the very home of map and atlas publishers, who find the Lakeside Building so very convenient, containing, as it does, under one roof the largest lithographic and coloring establishments, bookbindery, and printing office in the West.
1876 Chicago Lakeside Directory