The Churches of Chicago,
Life Span: 1873
The Land Owner, September, 1873—Supplement
St. Paul’s Universalist (Rebuilt), Morgan Ave., Near Eighteenth St.—W. M. Ryder, D.D.
Grace Presbyterian (Rebuilt), Vincennes Ave. cor. Oak.—Rev. Ben E. S. Ely.
THE CHURCHES OF CHICAGO.
This city has reason to be proud of its churches—both those rebuilt since the fire and those saved from the great conflagration. Our artist has taken especial pains to portray them graphically in this issue, the pictures being drawn from the edifices themselves, with care and accuracy. It is our purpose to continue their publication through two or three numbers, until all are presented, even to the smallest mission houses, care being taken in their accurate delineation.
If it be true that the church architecture of a city gives a clue to its commerce and trade, then certainly our readers abroad can form an idea of what Chicago rwally is, from a different stand point than has ever heretofore been given. That she is not behind her sister cities in her sacred edifices, the churches published in this number significantly prove.
While the city cannot boast of any grand cathedral pile, like London of its Westminster, or Florence of its Duomo, it can certainly point with pride to the general fine character of its churches, their completeness, comfort and simple beauty. Before our artist shall have done with them, our readers all over the world will be aware of this. There is an agreeable absence of ostentation about the architecture, and a pleasant glory of humility takes its place. Our preachers, as a rule, are men of high talents and much influence. Here in this ever bustling, ever movingm noisy, restless city of commerce and greed, it is indeed a relief to pause in the pusuit of gain, and, turning aside from the palaces of trade on every hand, contemplate this long array of quiet, beautiful temples, reared to the worship of Him who, in His wonderful mercy, has so signally prospered our city, and brought us so triumphantly out of our afflictions.
The enterprise shown by the congregations burned out in the great fire, in recreating better edifices, is certainly commendable in the highest degree. This must indeed be a prosperous metropolis, that, in addition to rebuilding its stores, hotels, factories, homes, can find means to erect such churches as some of the rebuilt ones in this issue. Some outside aid has been called for and given, but as a rule the congregations have borne the burden themselves, another index of our stability as a city, and of invincible character of our citizens.
The Land Owner has here given views of churches without regard to denomination or creed. Those that are not given here will be presented in succeeding numbers.
Second Baptist, Corner Monroe and Morgan Streets,—Revs. E. J. & T. W. Goodspeed.
Union Park Congregational, Ashland Ave., cor. Washington St.,—Rev. C. D. Helmer.
Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul, cor. W. Washington and Peoria Sts.,—Rev. Henry J. Whitehouse, D.D., LL.D and Rev. J. H. Knowles.
St. James Episcopal (Rebuilt), Corner Cass and Huron Streets,—Rev. Arthur Brooks.
Unity Church (Rebuilt), North Dearborn St., cor. Lafayette Place.,—Rev. Robert Collier.
Centenary Methodist Episcopal, Monroe St., West of Morgan,—Rev. J. O. Peck.
Grace Episcopal, Wabash Ave., Near Fourteenth St.,—Rev. Clinton Locke, D.D.
Second Presbyterian (Rebuilt), Michigan Ave. cor. Eighteenth St.,—Rev. R. E. Patterson.
The Land Owner, December, 1873
New England Church (Rebuilt), North Dearborn St.,—Rev. P. T. Chamberlain
St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Wabash Av., cor. Eldridge, Court,—Rev. Patrick M. Noonan.
Fourth Unitarian Church (Rebuilt), Prairie Av. Cor. Thirtieth St.,—Rev. O. W. Wendte.
First Baptist Church, Wabash Av., Near Hubbard Court,—W. W. Evans, D.D.
The Land Owner, January, 1874
Swenskt Evangaliste Emanual Church, Sedgwick St.,Bet. Hoffie & Oak,—Rev. Mr. Carlson
1st German Evang. Luth. St. Paul’s Church, Superior St. cor. Franklin.,—Rev. Henry Wander.
First Congregational Church, West Washington St. cor. Ann,—Rev. Edward P. Goodwin.
Michigan Ave. Baptist Church
Christ Church, Michigan Ave. Cor. Twenty-fourth Street,—Rev. Chas. Edward Cheney, D.D.
Ada St. Methodist Church, Ada St. Between Lake and Fulton.—Rev. T. R. Trowbridge.
Third Presbyterian Church, Cor. W. Washington and Carpenter Sts.,—Rev. A. E. Kittredge.
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Ohio St., S.W. Cor. N. La Salle.—Rev. Joseph Hartman.
The Land Owner, February, 1874
St. Michael’s Church (German Cath.), Linden St., Cor. Hurlburt.—Rev. Peter Zimmer.
St. Patrick’s Church, Cor. Desplaines and Adams Streets.—Rev. P. J. Conway.
St. Francis Assissum Church (German Catholic), Twelfth St., Cor. Newberry.
St. Peter’s Church (German), Clark Street, Cor. Polk,.—Rev. Peter Fisher and Rev. Wensierski.
Fourth Presbyterian Church (Rebuilt), Cor. Superior and Rush Sts.,—Rev. David Swing.
Church of Notre Dame de Chicago, Cor. W. Congress and Halsted Sts.,—Rev. Jacob Cote.
The Land Owner (1869-1880) was a monthly publication, “devoted exclusively to the landed interests of the country.” It was aw weekly in 1875, but became a monthly again in 1876. J. M. Wing & Co., publishers. This series ended in the February, 1874 issue.