< --Previous Up Next–>
Chicago Savings Institution & Trust (Grant Hotel, Inter Ocean)
Life Span: 1872-1940
Location: NW corner of N Dearborn and W Madison streets
Chicago Tribune, December 8, 1872
The Chicago Savings Institutions, before the fire under the First National, corner of Washington and State streets, remained there until Nov. 1, when the building was put in the hands of workmen. It was the last bank to move out of the burnt district and the first to move back. In the interim it was at No. 125 West Randolph street, and is now at No. 129 LaSalle, waiting for its new building, at the northwest corner of Madison and Dearborn streets, to be fitted up. The new building cost $20,000, and is owned by the bank.
Adler & Sullivan added two stories to it. It eventually became the home to the Inter-Ocean and then the Grant Hotel.
Grant Hotel/Inter Ocean Building
Robinson Fire Map 1886
Volume 3, Plate 1