Life Span: 1864-1871
Location: SE Corner Dearborn and Randolph streets
Architect: Otis L. Wheelock
Chicago Tribune, July 21, 1864
On the east side of Dearborn street, between Randolph street and the Tremont House, a very handsome banking house with suitable offices for insurance, exchange, and similar business, is being built by from plans by Otis L. Wheelock by Messrs. Honore & Waite. The building will have a front of 62 feet on Dearborn street, and will run 145 feet towards State. It will be four stories in height, with a high basement, Mansard slate roof, and handsome marble front. The main entrance is to be on Dearborn street, and will be approached by a broad flight of steps. Over the doorway will be a finely cut stone balcony. The principal floor of the building will be divided into banking houses, obe of which will be occupied by Mr. Waite as the office of the Western Marine and Fire Insurance Company, and the other by the banking firm of A.C. Badger & Co. The principal rooms of each firm will be 24 by 40 feet, and each one is provided with fire and burglar proof vaults. The basement will consist of two exchange offices, 24 by 47 feet, with vaults and other conveniences. The second story is leased to the C.A. & ST.L. R.R. CO., and will be fitted according to their wishes as offices, and the third and fourth floors are intended as offices for business and professional men. The block will contain some very fine specimens of stone cutting by Edward Walker, and its cost is estimated at 75,000.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map