< --Previous Up Next–>
THIRD CITY HALL – 1848-1853
Old Market Hall was erected by the city. The first municipal structure, this two-story building located in the center of State Street, fronting forty feet on Randolph Street and running north one hundred and eighty feet toward Lake Street, contained 32 public market stails on the first floor and city offices on the second floor.
In January, 1848, the Market Building on State Street was erected by the city, and was the first municipal structure, the Common Council having heretofore rented their accommodations. The building was situated in the center of State Street, fronting forty feet on Randolph and running north toward Lake Street one hundred and eighty feet. It was built of brick and stone, two stories in height. The first floor was laid out into thirty-two public market stails. The second story was divided into four rooms, the one in the north end twenty by forty feet, ) arranged for a library, and the south room for the City Clerk’s office. The center rooms, divided by a partition, with folding doors, one forty by seventy-two feet, the other forty by sixty-eight feet, were used by the Common Council and for other public purposes. The entire cost was $11,070. J. M. Van Osdel was the architect and superintendent. The Common Council occupied their new rooms for the first time November 13, 1848.