Chicago Illustrated, August, 1866
THIS STATELY EDIFICE was not quite completed in its interior when this view was taken. It is located at the South-East corner of Eldridge Court and Wabash Avenue. The side and front upon the streets are stone “rock” finish. The other walls are of brick. The style of architecture is the Norman and Romanesque blended. The building is 84 feet wide, with transepts, and 120 feet deep. The basement is 13 feet high, and will be arranged and divided into class and lecture rooms, and other offices. The main story is 36 feet high. This auditorium will seat one thousand persons—a large gallery, for the organ and the choir, will face the pulpit. The basement of the church is the only part now finished, and is occupied.
The cost of this edifice, when completed, will be nearly $100,000. G. P. Randall, Esq., of Chicago, is the Architect.
The building is owned by the Plymouth Congregational Church, of Chicago, a society of some years’ official organization, and one prosperous in all the essentials of an active ecclesiastical body. The Rev. Lewis Watson is the pastor, and this church will be dedicated this spring.
James W. Sheahan, Esq.,
Leave a Reply