Return to Ships of John Gregory
Chicago Evening Mail, May 26, 1873
Two New Tugs.
Capt. John Harrington, Special Surveyor for the Port of Chicago, was last Friday busily engaged in at measuring two new tugs owned by the Vessel Owners’ Towing Association. The hulls were built by John Gregory, of Chicago, the boilers by Messrs. Snyder & Co., and the engine and machine work by Mr. Robert Faviant, the noted engine builder. They are, on the whole, two of the best tugs in our river. The smallest one is named the E.P. Ferry. She is 66.80 feet in length, 15 feet in breadth, and 7.65 feet in depth, her total tonnage being 36.72 tons. She is now ready for use and will be put in regular service to-day. The other, the Protection,” is not yet quite ready for use. She is 77.45 feet in length, 15.80 feet in breadth, and 8.95 feet in depth, and has a total tonnage of 60.03 tons. They are both nicely built, and reflect great credit upon upon both builders and owners.
Inter Ocean, May 31, `1873
Saturday is the day always chosen by builders on which to launch—that is, when the builder is allowed to hold the event over. This morning at 7 o’clock the tug Protection, of the Vessel Owners’ Towing Company, will be put afloat. The new craft is a fine one and will prove a valuable acquisition to the harbor fleet.
1878 Large repairs
1883, November 13 Ashore Saugatuck, towing damaged schooner Arab (US No. 311) in a gale, crew rescued by Saint Joseph life crew
1884 Released; rebuilt Chicago
1889, October 23 Ashore near Waukegan, Illinois with Daniel Ballentine (US No. 6768) & Ironton (US No. 100122)
1890 Owned J.L. Higgie, Chicago, Illinois
1899 Owned Dunham Towing Company, Chicago
1902 Owned Great Lakes Towing Company, Chicago, Illinois
1914 Out of registry