Return to Ships of John Gregory
Chicago Tribune, May 14, 1873
The fine new tug launched on Saturday last at the ship-yard of Doolittle & Olcott, for the Vessel Owners’ Towing Company, has been named the Edward P. Ferry (US No. 8981). Mr. Ferry is a prominent citizen of Grand Haven, Mich., and a member of the lumber house of Messrs. Ferry & Bros., of Chicago, and largely interested in vessel property; also, one of the leading stockholders of the Towing Compamy.
Chicago Evening Mail, May 26, 1873
Two New Tugs.
Capt. John Harrington, Special Surveyor for the Port of Chicago, was last Friday busily engaged in at measuring two new tugs owned by the Vessel Owners’ Towing Association. The hulls were built by John Gregory, of Chicago, the boilers by Messrs. Snyder & Co., and the engine and machine work by Mr. Robert Faviant, the noted engine builder. They are, on the whole, two of the best tugs in our river. The smallest one is named the E.P. Ferry. She is 66.80 feet in length, 15 feet in breadth, and 7.65 feet in depth, her total tonnage being 36.72 tons. She is now ready for use and will be put in regular service to-day. The other, the Protection, is not yet quite ready for use. She is 77.45 feet in length, 15.80 feet in breadth, and 8.95 feet in depth, and has a total tonnage of 60.03 tons. They are both nicely built, and reflect great credit upon upon both builders and owners.
It was the E. P. Ferry that picked him up. When the tug, Charles W.Parker, another of John Gregory’s builds, blew up on 22 Sept 1879, the E.P. Ferry saw an object land nearby. This object was the lone survivor of the accident, Henry McGuire the deck hand.
Tug E. P. Ferry burned in the harbor at Duluth during Jan. 1900, a total loss. She was owned by King & Steel Contractors. Six months later, the hull of the burned tug E. P. Ferry has been dymanited at Duluth so that the shaft and stern pipe can be recovered.
1879 owned Vessel Owners Towing Co., Chicago, IL.
1898 owned George R. King & Hugh Steele.
1899 owned J.L. Higgie, Chicago.