Return to Ships of John Gregory
The large lake tug Joseph Perrett (US No. 76400), which was built in the Rand & Burger shipyard at Manitowoc (known today as Burger Boats) in 1881 by John Gregory, for the Marinette Barge Line Company, received her machinery and completion at Twenty-second Street. She was 160 feet long, 29 feet beam, and 13 feet hold, of 537 tons. She was provided with two compound engines of, respectively, 27 and 44 inches diameter and 40 inches stroke, built by the Detroit Dry Dock Company. She has a marine tubular boiler of 11 feet in diameter and 17 feet in length, of Otis steel, 47 inches of a tensile strength of 60,000 pounds to the square inch. She was allowed a steam pressure of 85 pounds. Her cost was upwards of $40,000. She was commanded by a worthy gentleman, after whom she was named, who will begin the season’s operations at once. She was first enrolled on 18 April 1882 at Milwaukee. WI.
Chicago Tribune, April 16, 1882
The new lake tug J. C. Perrett, built at this port last winter, left yesterday on her first trip to Menominee, towing three barges of the Menominee Lumber Company.
In November of 1882, the Perrett towed the barges Eva S. Robinson (US No. 36462), E. F. Judd (US No. 8938), D. R. Martin (US No. 6134), William Grandy (US No. 26838) and Empire State (US No. 7295) from Marinette, Wisconsin to Chicago. On the return trip to Marinette, she brought back the Marinette (US No. 90766) and D. L. Filer (US No. 35311).
At the Milwaukee Ship-yard on an afternoon in August 1883, the 360 ton scow-barge which has been on the stocks for some months was launched. She was named the Fred Carney (US No. 120559). Her dimensions were: Length, 150 feet; beam, 30 feet; hold 10 feet 6 inches. She was a finely modeled barge, and was able to carry about 500,000 feet of lumber. She was completed and ready for sea on Sept. 1. Her owners were the Marinette Barge Line Company, and she was towed with the other barges of the line, in the Chicago lumber trade, by the tug J.C. Perrett.
The large three masted schooner Bertie Calkins (US No. 2915) collided with the J. C. Perrett on 25 June 1885. Both ships were damaged, but made a port.
Sturgeon Bay, On 1896 May 21 while passing through the canal this evening Car Ferry TRANSFER NO. 1 in tow of the tug J. C. Perrett, collided with the United States dredging plant. Holes were stove in each of the two dump scows, and the dredge was also damaged considerably. The ferry was not damaged much, and proceeded on her way to Chicago. The accident was caused by having too long a tow line between the Perrett and the ferry. The damage to the dredging plant foot up to about $1,000.
She was renamed J. C. Ames in 1896.
Dismantled in Manitowoc, Wisconsin and her final enrollment was surrendered at Milwaukee in 1923.