Union Building II, Western Union Building
Life Span: 1873-1893
Location: Southwest Corner of LaSalle and Washington streets
Architect: Wheelock & Thomas
The Land Owner, June, 1872
Our engraving of this beautiful new structure, now rapidly rising on its foundations, on the old site, opposite the Chamber of Commerce, will be looked upon with interest. It is from the plans of Messrs. Wheelock & Thomas, architects, who have done themselves great credit in design. It is 101 feet on La Salle, by the same on Washington street, the principal front being on La Salle street. The front is of Cleveland sandstone, with galvanized iron cornice. Rich and massive columns surround the lower stories, and the height of the structure from the sidewalk to the top of the balustrade is 300 feet. The building is very elaborate throughout, and the large and rich windows of plate glass give it a pleasant and yet massive appearance.
The original building that stood on this site was commenced August, 1867, finished and occupied May 1, 1868, and went down on the memorable 9th of October, 1871. The owners were Hon. W. F. Coolbaugh, Calvin T. Wheeler, Esq., H. G. Powers, Esq., John V. Farwell, Esq., Wesley Munger, Esq., and Daniel Thompson, all of whom were directors of the Union National Bank. These gentlemen were incorporated as the “Union Building Association,” April 9th, 1869. The same gentlemen are erecting the new building, with the change of Albert A. Munger, in place of Wesley Munger, his father, deceased. Of this association, H. G. Powers, Esq., is Prsident, and Calvin T. Wheeler, Esq., Secretary and Treasurer.
It is expected to enclose, roof and plaster the new structure by November 1st, finish the interior during the winter, and have it ready for occupancy next April. Those who recollect the old building will see a great improvement in the new onw, which is one story higher, and which will be one of the finest in our rebuilt city.
The Western Union Telegraoh Company will occupy the entire front basement on Washington street, tigether with the entire fifth floor, and a private office for General Stager on the second floor. The Union National Bank will occupy its old quarters on the corner. S. J. Walker, Esq., out great real estate man, will occupy three offices, commencing on the corner of La Salle, and extending 72 feet on Washington street. The third floor entire is being arranged to accommodate the Army Department of the Northwest, under command of General Sheridan.
To meet the increasing demand for banking houses which center around the Chamber of Commerce, opposite, where the products of the Great West are bought and sold, the basement and first floor of this building will each have two large rooms provided with ample vaults for such use, in addition to the ones used by the Union National. The building will be heated by steam, and an elevator, entered from Washington street, will be kept constantly in motion during business hours, rendering the fourth floor as accessible and desirable for offices as the second.
The gentlemen comprising the Union Building Association feel a just pride in erecting a building in keeping with the locality and surroundings, which will be a monument to their confidence in Chicago.
Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1873
Messrs. A. H. Andrews & Co. have now on exhibition at their new , No. 170 State street, a large and handsome assortment of elaborate office desks, from new and attractive designs by their own artists. All their work is made at their own factory, and all shrinkage and warping in goods by them is at their risk, and any article not found perfect in this respect will be promptly exchanged or money refunded. Also, in stock the largest and most varied assortment of plain desks and office chairs to be found in the West. Messrs. A. H. Andrews & Co. are proprietors of Dill’s Excelsior Marquetrie Patents, and are conducting the manufacture of this best and moet desirable of all ornamental floors, under the of the inventor. All parties needing fine work in office desks or fittings should call at the warerooms of this firm.
Robinson Fire Map