Page Brothers Building City Hotel Block, Loop End Building
Life Span: 1873-Prestent
Location: Southeast Corner of State and Lake streets
Architect: John M. Van Osdel
Chicago Tribune, February 11, 1872
CITY HOTEL TO BE REBUILT.
It is in discussion, and will doubtless be carried through, to rebuild the old City Hotel, ion the corner of State and Lake streets, into a merchants’ hotel, retaining and perpetuating the old-time associations of the “Stiles Burton Corner,” which Mr. Burton holds by direct patent from the Federal Government. The proposition is to build the house five stories high, with the hotel entire on the second floor and stores beneath. It is in contemplation to connect with the house the three upper stories of the next building east, D. B. Fisk’s old stand, which will give the City Hotel the capacity of nearly one hundred and fifty rooms, making it more elegible (sic) than ever before for business men visiting the city. The present project, if carried out, will be one of the earliest completed improvements in that quarter of the city.
Building erected by Stiles Burton on the site of the olf City Hotel, and occupied by Page Bros. & Co., corner Lake and State Sts.
The Land Owner, January, 1873
THE OLD CITY HOTEL BLOCK.
The “old city hotel,” located at the southeast corner of Lake and State streets was, before the fire, one of Chicago’s landmarks, as its erection dates back to the early days of the growing city. Around the old structure cluster many fond memories, still cherished by our early citizens, so many of whom lately have passed off the stage to give place to the rebuilders of the city they saw grow up so rapidly and destroyed to suddenly. But the “old city hotel” is no more. On its site the Burtons have erected a magnificent mercantile structure, which our artist has carefully shown in the engraving shown herewith. This building was, immediately upon its completion, or in fact before it was completed, so imperative are the demands of trade, taken possession of by the extensive and well-known leather firm of Page Bros. & Co., who we know are located there, and carrying on their large business within its walls, with everything as comfortable and pleasant about them as if they or the leather houses of Boston, with whom they compete successfully for the trade of the West, never had been burned out.
Before the fire, this house was located at 50 Lake street, where their large stock was consumed. But they immediately established themselves at 35 and 37 South Canal street, soon had the most complete stock in store, and went on with their business again its old channel. At the latter location they remained until the new building was ready for their occupancy.
In the this connection, and while congratulating Page Bros. & Co. upon their elegant new quarters, it may not be amiss to speak somewhat of their antecedents. The senior member of the firm, Wm. W. Page, Esq., is a member of the great leather house of Cragin Page & Co., of Boston, where he resides, and where he has been engaged in the leather business for 25 years. The other members of the firm, who manage the house here, are Orville Page and Clinton E. Page, both gentlemen well known in both commercial and social circles in Chicago. Both have been engaged in the leather trade all their lives, and are perfectly familiar with the business in all its various details. They are gentlemen of integrity, close business habits, and have but one object in view, and that the success of their house, it being their ambition to lead the leather trade of the West, which they undoubtedly do.
The large new building which we illustrate is crowded with an immense stock of leather, findings, all kinds of boot and shoe manufacturers’ goods, etc., fresh and complete. Here they have ample room for their trade. The building is provided with steam elevators, heated by steam, and in arranging their stock they have had especial care to so place their goods that the buyer has little difficulty in personally seeing whatever he wants.
The “old city hotel” corner is one of the very best in the city. Here is the junction of all the west and south side lines of street cars, the depots and hotels are convenient, and the site is in every way a peculiarly desirable one.
The Land Owner notes with much satisfactory the re-establishment of such houses as this in better quarters than before the fire. It is an evidence of our wonderful growth and vitality as a city, and the staunch character of our leading merchants, always the life of the metropolis.
Chicago Tribune, February 13, 1898
Plans have been made
Pitkin & Brooks Building
Pitkin & Brooks Building
Incorporated, State Street corner of Lake. Chicago. This is one of the oldest and most progressive establishments in the line of lamps and glassware in Chicago. It makes a specialty of fine ware of the most artistic patterns. It was started by Pitkin & Brooks in 1872 in a shanty on the Lake Front, built just after the fire to accommodate the trade burned out by the great conflagration of 1871.
The capital then employed was only $6,000. From this comparatively small beginning the business has grown until it is one of the largest in the west. It occupies three double stores 56, 58 and 60 Lake Street, employing 300 hands in its several departments.
On 25 January 1901, the building was on fire causing $450,000 in damages. The company closed in 1920 following the death of the President, Edward Hand Pitkin.
Pitkin & Brooks Invoice
2 July 1901
“Old City Hotel”
Southeast corner of State and Lake Streets
Robinson Fire Map