Life Span: 1863-1871
Location: Northwest corner State and Madison
Architect: A. Carter
Chicago Tribune, October 8, 1863
“Raymond Block,” corner of State and Madison streets, five stories below, with rooms above for boarding house. Size 111 on State, by 106 on Madison street. Erected for B. W. Raymond and J. Young Scammon—cost $37,000. Builders, Philo Warner, mason, James McCammon, carpoenter, Gettings & Sullivan, painters.
Chicago Tribune, October 16, 1863
Raymond Block Stores—Old Faces in New Places.
Prominent among the numerous fine business blocks erected in the city this season, stands “Raymond Block,” on the northwest corner of State and Madison streets, built by B. W. Raymond and J. Young Scammon. This block is beautiful, substantial and complete in its interior arrangements. In size it is 111 feet on State street, by 106 on Madison, of pressed brick, with handsomely cut stone trimmings, five stories and basements. The lower stories are divided into five commodious store rooms, the upper four stories arranged for and to be occupied as a boarding house.
Chicago Tribune, December 25, 1866
About 11 o’clock on Saturday night, fire was discovered in a millinery store in the Raymond Block, State street, occupied by Mrs. Thomson. It was occasioned by the overheating of a stove near the partition. Almost simultaneously with the alarm the “Frank Sherman” was on the spot, and the fire was extinguished in a few minutes. The damage will not exceed $30, and is covered by insurance.
Chicago Tribune, December 31, 1863
Raymond Block, corner of State and Madison sts., size 111 by 106—four stories and basement, occupied by five stores, the upper stories with rooms for a boarding house. Cost. $11,300.—A. Carter, Architect.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
The corner of State and Madison, looking Northeast from ruins of the Chicago Tribune Building at Dearborn and Madison. The Raymond Block (122-132 State), NW Corner, lower left, and Carson, Pirie & Co. was next door at 118-120.
Raymond Block, NW Corner, lower left
The Tribune building at the southeast corner of Dearborn and Madison Streets after the Chicago Fire of 1871, where the above photograph was taken.
Leave a Reply