Life Span: 1867-1908
Location: SW Corner Randolph and Canal Streets
Chicago Evening Post, April 17, 1867
A New Hotel.—Mr. R. B. Barnes opened his new hotel, the Barnes House, last evening. It is a fine brick five-story structure, situated on the southwest corner or Canal and Randolph streets. It contains seventy-six bed-rooms, ladies’ and gentlemen’s sitting rooms, besides reception rooms, kitchen, pantries, improved bake-oven, bath-rooms, etc.—all elegantly furnished. The building is lighted with gas throughout, and each room is furnished with bells connecting with the office. Judging from the splendid manner in which the house is furnished, and the bounteous display of viands on the table last evening, Mr. Barnes does indeed know how to keep a hotel. In the basement is a first-class billiard hall, containing four new, second-size four-pocket tables. This room is under the superintendence of the gentlemanly and obliging Jow Vermeulen—so what more need be said?
Edwards’s Annual Directory to the Inhabitants, Institutions, Incorporated Companies, Manufacturing Establishments, Business, Firms, etc., in the City of Chicago, 1870-1871
Chicago Tribune, April 9, 1908
The property that must be vacated is known as the “machinery district.” Several big firms will find new locations. Among these are the J. T. Ryerson & Sons company at Clinton and Lake streets, the H. M. Hooker Glass company, and the Raymond Lead company. The Ryerson company is building a huge new house at Fifteenth street and Ogden avenue. Old landmarks such as the Gault House and the Barnes House also will go.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Greeley-Carlson Atlas of Chicago