Peter Schuttler Wagon Works I
Life Span: ~1859-1871
Location: Southwest Corner Randolph and Franklin Streets
Chicago Tribune, July 20, 1861
In our late reference to some of our Chicago mechanics, urging the reasons why this is a proper point to be looked to for a supply of army wagins, in the very likely event that our Illinois boys some of these days will be taking the road to Memphis, when they will, of course, carry their baggage along, we opened a point upon which may be said.
Here, for instance, is Schuttler—Peter Schuttler—of sixteen years’ experience in wagin building, who has the large steam manufactory on the corner of Randolph and Franklin streets, not long ago extended by the addition of four story brick building. He has for several years past been filling large orders annually for wagons to cross the plains. You may read his name on wagons all the way from Missouri to Deseret. The Mormon emigration call for several hundred of his wagons every year.
These are just the vehicles the army want. Mr. Schuttler has over one hundred men in employ, and can turn out from 90 to 100 wagons per week. With a liberal business and capital, it has always been Mr. Schuttler’s plan to lay in a large stock of material, and keep it long on hand to secure its being thoroughly seasoned, and has now of this enough for several thousand wagons.
There will be certainly no good excuse to “wait for the wagon” in the West while such establishments of known reputation are ready to turn out the work desired. We call attention to Mr. Schuttler’s advertisement in another column. He and his force should be promptly set at work, for their product, or some other of its class will be needed, not many months hence, and none better than his can be found in any part of the country.
Chicago Tribune, January 17, 1865
DEATH OF PETER SCHUTTLER.—One by one our ancient landmarks are being removed. Yesterday morning, Peter Schuttler, who for a quarter of a century has been identified with the business of Chicago, died at his residence, on West Monroe street, between Morgan and Aberdeen, after an illness of but five days, aged about fifty years. Mr. Schuttler was a native of Baden, Germany. He came to Chicago from Cleveland in 1840, and purchased the corner on which his present establishment now stands, and at once set up a small jobbing shop. Strictly attentive to his business, steady and upright, he has gradually extended his manufactures until at the time of his death, his was one of the most extensive establishments in the Northwest. The progress of his business may justly be esteemed as an index of the growth of our city, with which Mr. Schuttler has been so closely identified. He had nearly completed his new residence, (the scene of his decease) the most magnificent building in Chicago. Mr. Schuttler leaves a wife and two children, (two of whom have attained their majorities.)
Schuttler Wagon Works
Southwest Corner Randolph and Franklin Streets
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
Chicago Evening Post, August 13, 1868
Generous Donation to a Worthy Object.
Peter Schuttler, Esq., proprietor of Schuttler’s mammoth wagon works, of Chicago—the largest in the Northwest—has made expressly for, and donated to, the Woman’s Home, a splendid one-horse lumber wagon. The Home is a complete success, and has been incorporated by about one hundred of our representative men, under the law of Illinois enacted for the purpose by our last Legislature. It is to be immediately enlarged, so as to furnish a first-class home for over three hundred worthy, industrious women, who by their own exertions, are trying to sustain themselves, and where the expenses of living are to be reduced to the lowest possible cost. This donation of Mr. Schuttler’s will enable the Managers to collect materials for the new structure, and thus greatly aid this noble work.
After the founder died in 1865, his son Peter Schuttler II took the reins of the business, which continued to manufacture a large number of high quality wagons. By 1880, about three hundred workers produced over $400,000 worth of wagons per year.
As late as 1910, when Peter Schuttler III was chief executive of the company, Schuttler & Hotz Manufacturers continued to employ about three hundred men at its factory on 22nd Street in Chicago. But the advent of the automobile meant the end of an era for the Schuttler wagon works. The Springfield Wagon Company in Springfield, Missouri acquired the rights for the Schuttler name after the Chicago company closed in 1925.
Chicago Tribune September 17, 1906
Peter Schuttler, millionaire wagon manufacturer and pioneer of Chicago, died yesterday morning in Langenschwalbach, Germany, at the summer residence of his brother-in-law, Adolphus Busch of St. Louis.A cablegram, briefly announcing his death, reached his Chicago home, 66 Lake Shore drive in the afternoon.
Mr. Schuttler, who was 65 years old, was spending the summer in Europe. e went abroad early in June to attend the fiftieth anniversary of his college club, “Saxonia,” of the Karlaruhe, polytechnic school, where he was educated. Afterwards he toured through various parts of Germany and was to have sailed for News York from Cherbourg on Sept. 19, the date of his birth. A little over a week ago he was taken ill with stomach trouble. He gradually grew weaker until his death.
About a year ago Mr. Schuttler was stricken with a similar illness while attending a banquet of the Chicago Commercial club. He recovered quickly, but since that time had suffered slight attacks at intervals.
He was identified prominently with the manufacturing interests of Chicago. He was president of the Peter Schuttler company, makers of wagons at Clinton and West Monroe streets, and was engaged actively in the business up to the time of his death. He had been at the head of the concern since the death of his father in 1865. Until a few years ago he was a member of the Chicago and other clubs. He retained his membership in the Chicago Commercial Club and was one of its most active workers for Chicago’s advancement.
Survived by Five Children.
Mr. Schuttler’s wife died five years ago. He is survived by his five children, four sons and one daughter. The sons all are at home in Chicago and they received no details of their father’s death except the brief dispatch. More news is expected today, when funeral arrangements will be made. The daughter, Miss Lillian Schuttler, was traveling in Europe with her father and was at his bedside at the time of his death. The four sons, who are associated in the wagon business of their father are Peter Jr., Carl, Walter and Adolph B. It is expected that Mr. Schuttler’s body will be brought home on the Kronprinz Wilhelm on Sept. 19, the same day he was to have sailed for New York.
Finishes Education in Europe.
He was born in Sandusky, O., on Sept. 19, 1841. He was brought to Chicago by his parents in 1842. His father established the wagon works at Randolph and ranklin streets in 1842. The plant was moved to its present location after the Chicago fire. Mr. Schuttler was educated in the public schools and in the Gleason preparatory school. He was sent to Karlsruhe in 1856, where he took a four years’ course in civil and mechanical engineering, graduating in honors. He entered business with his father on his return to America, and later married Miss Anheuser1, who was a sister of Mrs. Adolphus Busch. When his father died he assumed full control of the wagon manufactory. He was a republican, but was not active in politics, although he was a presidential elector at the time of Gen. Grant’s last nomination. He was a member of the Illinois state board of agriculture from 1882 to 1884. Mr. Schuttler’s chief recreation was shooting. He organized the Tolleston Shooting club. Mr. Busch’s shooting lodge, where he died, was the center of a fine game preserve.