Life Span: 1869-TBD
Location: 13th and Ashland Streets
Evening Post, July 6, 1868
The new public school building now being erected at Reuben street, is very properly to be named the “Clarke School,” in honor of the President of the Board of Education, C. Clarke, Esq.
Evening Post, January 13, 1869
The following are the boundaries of the new Clarke school district, the building of which was opened this morning:
Commencing on Harrison street at Western avenue (city limits), thence following Harrison street to Mortgan, Morgan street to Blue Island avenue to Centre avenue, Centre avenue to Twenty-second street to Western avenue, and Western Avenue to Harrison street. Parents residing within these limits should send their children to the new school house on Reuben street, near twelfth.
The Land Owner, January, 1870
THE NEW CLARKE SCHOOL BUILDING.
We present elsewhere an elegant engraving of the New Clarke School Building, erected about a year since on Reuben street, between Sampson and Hasting streets, with interior plans of the different floors.
This elegant edifice is only one of the many fine educational buildings of Chocago. Its cost was $70,000, including steam heating and furniture, and it wil accommodate one thousand pupils. The architect is John Barton, Esq., Lombard Block.
It is the constant increase of our population, and the erection of such buildings as this, that gives Chicago real estate its permanent and increasing value.
The New Clarke School.
Reuben treet, between Sampson and Hastings.
13th and Ashland Streets
Robinson Fire Map