Culver, Page & Hoyne Building
Location: 118 and 120 Monroe street (Pre-1909)
Life Span: 1870-1871
Architect: F. & E. Baumann
The Land Owner, January, 1871
MESSRS. CULVER, PAGE & HOYNE’S BUILDING ON MONROE STREET
Among the many elegant and substantial business edifices that have been erected in this city, the present season is that of Messrs. Culver, Page & Hoyne at 118 and 120 Monroe street, an illustration of which we herewith present, and which will be occupied by the extensive business of this old and reliable stationery house, immediately upon its completion, which will be about the opening of the new year.
In the erection of this building, no expense has been soared on depth and breadth of foundation, and strength of wall and timber; the masons having given special attention to these points. The joists, even to the fifth floor, are sixteen inches, and are well calculated to sustain the immense weight of goods which the business of the house requires them to carry. The building has been erected under the supervision of Messrs. F. & E. Baumann, thoroughly competent architects. Architecturally the style of Corinthian, and its bold and massive front strikes the passerby, from its unusually symmetrical, solid and substantial look; and when occupied, will present an attractive and inviting appearance.
Culver, Page & Hoyne Warehouse
The basement will contain, in front, Book-Binders’ Stock, Tools and Machinery,—in which this firm are large dealers,—and in the rear will be the boilers and engines, etc., also the receiving and shipping rooms. The first floor will be an elegant store, finished in a thorough and convenient manner, and filled with a general line of stationery goods. The front of the second floor will be occupied by the American Insurance Co., and the other floors will be devoted to the extensive printing and blank book manufacturing establishment which the firm carries on, for the supply of railroads, banks, insurance companies, merchants, county officers, and real-estate dealers, etc., and for the storage of a vast stock of goods for their jobbing trade.
The entire building—fort-five by one hundred and ninety feet—is heated by steam, and has water-pipes, with hose, on every floor, in front and back part of store, for extinguishing fires.
Messrs. Culver, Page & Hoyne, who have added so much to the architectural appearance of Monroe street, in the erection of this fine edifice, are one of the largest jobbing houses of paper, blank books and stationery, in the United States. Their business was established in 1844, and for several years was conducted by J. A. Hoisington, now and for several years past a justice of the peace for this city. The present firm, Culver, Page & Hoyne, succeeded to the business in June, 1855. They are now doing a large trade with county and public officers, and besides their extensive trade in paper and general stationery, blank books, etc., they manufacture over nine hundred forms of commercial, law, court, real-estate, and bankruptcy blanks.
Culver, Page & Hoyne Trade Card
Culver, Page & Hoyne Building
In 1883 Culver, Page & Hoyne Company was succeeded by the John Morris Company. John Morris Company sold out to the P. F. Pettibone Co. in 1894.
P.F. Pettibone markets the sale of Minute Books, Byron Weston record paper, and all kinds of Record Books to Cities, Counties and School Districts.