Chicago Illustrated, June, 1866
THE SHERMAN HOUSE is the latest and most extensive of the the many grand hotels in Chicago, and in architectural beauty and convenience has no superior in the United States.
It is situated on the north-west corner of Clark and Randolph streets. Its main front is on Clark street. The building on Clark and Randolph streets is six stories and the basement. The exterior dimensions are” on Clark street 181 feet from Randolph street to Couch place; on Randolph street westwardly 161 (including the addition.)
The building is the property of the Hon. Francis C. Sherman, of Chicago, and is built upon the site of the old Sherman House. This work was commenced May 1, 1860, and the hotel was opened for visitors, July 1, 1861. The front of the building is of Athens marble, and the main entrance on Clark street is through a portico two stories high. The entrance is up a broad and easy flight of some stairs to the grand hall. Facing the entrance is the Office, which is in an alcove, and commanding a view of all the stairs leading to the upper stories.
A spacious Hall runs north and south the whole length of the building, at an average width of 30 feet. On this floor are the Parlors and Reception Rooms, which are not surpassed in size or general convenience by any similar hotel apartments in the country. The various Dining Rooms are also on this floor. The upper stories are devoted to rooms for guests, and are so arranged that they can be used singly or in suite.
The building was open for guests on the evening of July 1, 1861.
James W. Sheahan, Esq.,