< --Previous Up Next–>
Life Span: 1891-1925
Location: NW corner of Rush and Ohio Streets
Architect: Clinton J. Warren
Located at 78 Rush St., North Side. One of the largest and most beautiful private and family hotels in the world. The building is a splendid specimen of modern hotel architecture. This is a high-class house in every sense. Leander McCormack spent the remaining years of his life here. He died in The Virginia on February 20, 1900.
Opening just a few years before the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition, the 400-room hotel was advertised as “an absolutely fire-proof building and a finished hotel second to no other.” The hotel featured ornate granite interiors decorated with marble statues, separate “gentlemen’s smoking room” and “ladies dining room”, and a room of boilers and dynamos to offer the latest technology: electric lights.
From a brochure promoting the new hotel:
This hotel was erected by Mr. Leander J. McCormick, so well known from his long connection with the “McCormick” Reaper, and every detail of construction and furnishing has been carried out with the intention to produce an absolutely fire-proof building, and a finished hotel second to no other. How near this result has been reached, the following pages of illustrations will partially show.
The hotel is conducted on the “American” plan, its cuisine and service being unexcelled. It is located in the most fashionable residence section, and yet in such close proximity to the business district that guests can reach the City Hall, Board of Trade, Theatres, etc., in a few moments’ time. To those seeking quiet and luxurious surroundings, “The Virginia” offers advantages possessed by no other hotel in the city. Room Diagrams and rates mailed on application. Special rates to families or to those making an extended stay.
For further information, or the engagement of rooms, address
THE VIRGINIA HOTEL,
Guest Parlor and Bedroom
Gentlemen’s Smoking Room
“The Virginia” is located in the most fashionable residence section, and yet as near to the City Hall as “The Auditorium.”