< --Previous Up Next–>
Life Span: 1896-1941
Location: 6 N. Clark Street, NW corner Clark & Madison
Architect: Holabird & Roche
6 N. Clark Street
At the northwest corner of W. Madison street, with a frontage of 63 feet on the former and 80 feet on the latter, was formerly known as the Straus, the H. O. Stone, and (originally) the Atwood building. It was 10 stories and an attic high, with one basement, on spread foundations with steel beam grillages. Holabird & Roche were the architects, and Purdy & Henderson the engineers. The building, designed for 13 stories, had both portal and diagonal wind bracing and was set up with an allowance of 6 inches for settlement. The cost of the Atwood building, including architects’ fees, was 35.21 cents per cubic foot.
Occupied the same space as the C.O.D. Block.
The Oliver Typewriter Company had their offices in this building from 1896-1907, before they moved into their own building.