Hiram Sibley Warehouse
(Central Cold Storage Company)
315-31 N. Clark Street
This building was built in 1883. George H. Edbrooke was the architect. It is divided into three
approximately equal portions—the two west portions seven stories high and the east portion nine stories high—and is supported on spread foundations except for the river frontage, which is supported on three lines of 30-foot oak piles spaced 3 feet apart along the wall. This is the first known use of wood or other piles under a building wall, other than in grain elevators along the Chicago river.
In 1945 a new concrete dock was constructed, with 45-foot steel sheet -piling, and the river wall was underpinned with concrete, cutting the tops of the piles off at —2.5, C.C.D., the new intended river water level. Fifty wood piles, 50 feet long, were added on the river side of the old dimension-stonewall foundations. Mundie & Jensen served as architects, and Frank A. Randall as engineer.
Torn down in February 1971.