Dedication ceremonies and parade for the Columbian Exposition World’s Fair in Chicago were held on October 21, 1892, but the fairgrounds were not actually opened to the public until May 1, 1893.
World’s Columbian Exposition Dedication Parade, October 1892
Photograph by J. W. Taylor
The Civic Parade
CHICAGO’S GRAND DEMONSTRATION IN HONOR OF COLUMBUS AND THE WORLD’S FAIR.
20th of October, 1892. the day preceding the official dedication of the World’s Fair palaces, was set apart for Chicago’s celebration of the the discovery of America by Columbus. That demonstration is now a matter of history, and in many respects was grander and more imposing than any before ever held, not merely on account of the great numbers taking part, but from its heterogeneous composition includ- ing more notable personages than had ever before been seen in one parade, combined with the many orders of associations representing every class of American citizens
There were Governors and their staffs, in far greater num- bers than any previous parade could boast: there were orators and prelates; city officials; orders comprising merchants and millionaires; orders comprising’ the clerks, the mechanics, the laboring classes the bone and sinew of the country; and there were the school children, the lads and the lasses who will soon take the places of their fathers and mothers in managing public affairs and moulding the opinions for the coming generations. About 75.000 was a very conservative estimate of the number of those in line, which took fully three hours to pass a given point, the pedestrains marching twenty abreast, and the carriages four. The parade formed in Lake Front Park, and at a quarter to twelve the signal gun was fired for the march to commence. The line of march was over Congress to Wabash, Wabash to Lake, Lake to State, State to Adams. Adams to Franklin, Franklin to Van Buren, VanBuren to Michigan Avenue, where they disbanded.
The city was in holiday attire, with buildings bedecked from cornice to sidewalk with the national colors, in streamers and Hags. All business was suspended, and the streets were cleared of all vehicles, not a single one being allowed in the central portion. This was a wise and necessary provision, for the business thoroughfares were packed with the thousands of Chicago’s citizens and the thousands of visitors from all over the country, many of whom had journeyed hundreds of miles to witness this great demonstration. A million of people was a fair estimate of the number of spectators who were that day gathered in a half mile square of the center of this great city.
State Street Decorated for Columbian Exposition
The reviewing stand, occupied by Vice President Morton, the Fair officials, and representatives of foreign governments, was placed on Ad- ams street, in front of the Post Office, on either side of which were tiers of seats occupied by 2,500 children, so dressed and arranged as to repre- sent two enormous American flags.
The following is the order of the procession, with names of the different orders and societies of which it was formed, accompanied by hundreds of bands of every description :
Chief of Police McClaughry and assistants.
Mounted police and police on foot.
Sousa’s Chicago’s band.
Mexican national band.
Grand Marshal Major General Nelson A Miles and numerous staff.
FIRST GRAND DIVISION.
Col. M. D. Birge and aids in command.
Chicago Hussars, escort to City officials and Governors of States
Mayor Washburne, City officials and City Council, in carriages.
Grand Army of the Republic, by posts.
Governors of States and Territories, who, with their staffs, occupied over one hundred carriages; with mounted escort.
Carlisle, Pa., Indian School, composed of 305 native Indian boys.
SECOND GRAND DIVISION.
Gen. A. G. Hawloy in command, with numerous aids.
Independent Order of Foresters, by courts, comprising 10,000 men. Italian Societies of 2,500 men.
Italian Democratic Club of 500 men, accompanied by a float of “Columbus Discovering America.”
Grecian Brotherhood Association, composed of 300 men.
Patriotic Order of Sons of America, with 8,000 men in line. Orangemen in full regalia.
Patriotic Guard of the United States.
Chicago Turners Societies, 2.500 men in line. Veterans of the German army, 500men.
Military Order of St. George aud Scottish Societies.
Croatien Benevolent Society and Polish Societies, with 5,000 men. Swedish and Scandinavian Societies, with about 10.000 men in line. Englewood Light Infantry.
County Democratic Marching Club, with 250 moh.
Fullerton Avenue Cadets, 100 in line.
High School Boys.
Englewood Guards. Sons of Veterans.
Float representing U. S. S. Monitor, with 50 men, drawn by 10 horses. Modern Woodmen of America.
Uniform Rank of Royal Arcanum.
Ninth Batallion Infantry.
Uniform Rank Knights of Pythias (colored.)
THIRD GRAND DIVISION.
P. J. Cahill in command, with aids. Catholic Order of Foresters, with 9,534 men in line. Uniform Rank of Catholic Order of Foresters, 850 men in Hibernian Rifles, 699 men in line.
Ancient Order of Hibernians, 2.000 men.
Archdiocesan Union. 4.000 men in line.
Catholic Knights of America, 1,000 men in line;
Catholic Benevolent Legion,
St. Miehael Parish Societies, 2,500 men.
United Polish Societies, 8,000 men in line;
St. John Baptist Society, 1,000 men in line.
Consolidated Temperance Societies, fiOO men in lind. Gaelic Societies, 500 men in line.
Consolidated Church Societies.
World’s Columbian Exposition Dedication Parade, October 1892
Military parade on Michigan Boulevard
Photograph by J. W. Taylor
IT PROCEEDS FROM THE AUDITORIUM TO JACKSON PARK
The following is the composition of the big parade by sections, and the order in which they marched, a description of the scenes having previously been given:
Major-Genei’al Miles in command, assisted by his numerous aides.
An escort of 1.000 troops in line.
Three batteries of light artillery under Major W. H. Randolph.
Gen. Eugene A. Carr and staff.
United States Signal Corps.
Fifth Cavalry from Fort Reno.
Detachment of troops from Fort Riley, Kansas.
Detachment of troops from Fort Sheridan.
Fifth Cavalry mounted band of twenty pieces from Ft. Riley, Kansas.
Sixth Cavalry, Capt. C. P. West in command.
Ninth Cavalry, Capt.Gerrard in command.
Four carriages containing Committee on Ceremonies of the World’s Columbian Commission, Director General, and National Commissioners.
One carriage containing Vice President Morton; President of the World’s Columbian Exposition, and President of the World’s Columbian Commission.
One carriage containing the First Vice Presinent of the World’s Columbian Exposition, and First Vice President of the World’s Columbian Commission.
Carriages containing cabinet officers.
Fifteen carriages containing the diplomatic corps.
Carriages containing Ex-President Hayes. John Sherman and Lyman J. Gage.
Twelve carriages containing senators of the United States.
Forty carriages containing representatives of the United States.
Carriages containing representatives of the army and navy.
Carriages containing Governors and their staffs of the States and Territories of the United States, as follows:
New York Gov. Roswell P. Flower and staff.
Massachusetts Gov. Win. E. Russell and staff.
New Hampshire Gov. H. A. Tuttle and staff.
Connecticut Gov. Buckley and staff.
Maryland Gov. Frank Brown and staff.
Vermont Gov. L. K. Fuller and staff.
Rhode Island Gov. D. Russell Brown and staff.
Delaware Gov. S. J. Reynolds and staff.
North Carolina Gov. Holt and staff.
New Jersey Adjt. Gen. W. S. Striker, representing Gov. Leon
Abbott and staff.
Pennsylvania Gov. Robert E Pattison and staff.
Kentucky Gov. John Young Brown and staff.
Ohio Gov. William McKinley and staff.
Louisiana Lieut. Gov. A. L. Parlonge and staff.
Indiana Gov. Ira Chase and staff
Illinois Gov. Joseph W. Fiferand staff.
Maine Gov. Edwin C. Burleigh and staff.
Missouri Gov. D. R. Francis and staff.
Michigan Gov. E. B. Winans and staff.
Iowa Gov. Hoi-ace Bois and staff.
Wisconsin Gov. George Peck and staff.
California Gov. H. H. Markham and staff.
Minnesota Gov. W. R. Merriam and staff.
Nebraska Gov. James E. Boyd and staff.
Colorado Gov. Routt and staff.
North Dakota Gov. A. H. Burke and staff.
South Dakota Gov. A. C. Mellette and staff.
Montana Gov. J. K. Toole and staff.
Virginia Gen. J. P. Stern, representing Gov. P. W. McKenney.
West Virginia Gov. Fleming and staff.
Washington Gov. Allen Muir and staff.
Carriages containing the orators and chaplains.
Fifteen carriages containing commissioners of foreign governments to the World’s Columbian Exposition.
Five carriages containing consuls from foreign governments.
Thirty carriages containing the World’s Columbian Commission at Large.
Twenty carriages containing the Board of Lady Managers of the World’s Columbian Exposition.
Carriages containing lady representatives of the thirteen original States.
Ten carriages containing Board of Directors of the World’s Columbian Exposition.
Three carriages containing Board of Managers of the U. S. exhibit.
Seven carriages containing the department chiefs.
Eighteen carriages containing staff officers of the Director of Works.
Thirty carriages containing members of the City Council of Chicago.
Columbian Exposition Dedication Ceremony
One of the first uses of the new “Y” symbol.
October 20, 1892
Columbian Exposition Dedication Ceremony Invitation
October 20, 21 & 22, 1892
The above invitation was sent to George H. Wyman, who was best known for designing and building the Bradbury Building in Los Angeles, California which opened in 1893. The invitation is addressed to George H. Wyman in Aberdeen, Washington.
President Cleveland Opening The World’s Fair at Chicago in 1893.
I was captured by your comment to the Columbian Exposition Dedication Ceremony Invitation above. Since architect George H. Wyman was never reported to have resided/lived in Aberdeen, WA, I did some search on the internet. I think the invitation was likely sent to another George H. Wyman, born on Oct 6, 1856, Cleveland OH, who was in the mining business. During that period (1890-1893) he was likely residing in Aberdeen, WA. He was also member of the Washington legislature in or around that period. Later he moved to Boise, ID. His name is mentioned several times in 1892-1893 editions of the Aberdeen Herald (can be searched at http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/). He is also mentioned in a book:”Biographical Catalogue of the Xi Chapter of the Zeta Psi Fraternity at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan. 1858-1897″ that can be browsed on Google Books.