< --Previous Up Next–>
Life Span: 1927-Present
Location: Grant Park
Chicago Tribune August 27, 1927
John Philip Sousa conducts “Stars and Stripes Forever” on a terrace east of the new Buckingham Fountain as the fountain is dedicated before 50,000 Chicagoans. And “As though responding to the direction of the bandmaster and the magic of his baton, the fountain began to glow with misty blue lights circling each of the three tiers. A moment later the rush of water started. For an hour the lights were played on the 134 jets, through which 5,500 gallons of water were poured each minute, and all the various lighting effects were displayed.”
Under Construction 1926
Chicago Tribune, April 12, 1931
“Front Yard” by Edward McGill, of the Tribune staff.
Chicago Sunday Tribune, July 23, 1933
From the Robert and Peggy Series
Written and drawn by Professor William Garrison Whitford, Art Education, University of Chicago.
OF all the gorgeous spectacle places witnessed by Robert and Peggy during their stay in Chicago as World’s Fair Visitors, none perhaps appealed to their youthful love for color so much as their view of the Buckingham Memorial Fountain by night. Not only children, but grownups gaze in awe as this great fountain plays its mighty streams of water into the air under a myriad changing colored lights. The children were in Grant park, just north of A Century of Progress Exposition, promptly at 9 o’clock in the evening, when the fountain !urned into a magnificent cascade of all of the co!ors of the rainbow. Uncle Jack explained that the fountain contained 134 separate jets and spouted 14,000 gallons of water into the air every minute during a major display pointing out the eight huge bronze sea horses around the margin of the great pool.
“The real sea horses at the aquarium are tiny ihings,” Peggy pointed out “These bronze ones are big enough to ride.”
Chicago Tribune, June 4, 1931