< --Previous Up Next–>
Chicago Evening Post Building
Life Span: 1928-Present
Location: 211 W. Wacker Drive
Architect: Holabird & Root
Chicago Evening Post building, at 211 W. Wacker Drive, was built in 1928. Holabird and Root were the architects and Frank E. Brown the engineer. The building is 19 stories high, with two basements, on hardpan caissons. Designed in the Art Deco style the building serves as an excellent example of the architect’s signature massive columns low on the façade and smaller columns repeated near the building’s top.
A view of the Chicago Evening Post Building at 211 W. Wacker Drive
When The Post merged into the Chicago Daily News in 1932, the building was sold to The Times. It became the headquarters for The Times and the Sun-Times till 1957.
The property was sold by the Chicago Sun–Times to YMCA College and was used as their downtown campus. In 1983, it was sold to an investor group (including one of the current developers). During 1984 the building was completely renovated, including new windows, elevators, and air-conditioning systems and fully leased as an incoming productivity office property. It was sold to Japanese investors in 1989 and has subsequently been owned by various institutional investors.
A relatively small building among the Behemoths along Wacker Drive, 211 West Wacker is finding a new identity as the first institutional grade “Loop” office property to be converted from a rental to an office condominium. This new property type is creating a distinctive identity for 211 W. Wacker in the Chicago office markets. There is great interest as business organizations (including non-for-profit organizations) recognize history in the making.