Location: Corner Market and Lake Streets
Life Span: 1872-1898
Chicago Evening Mail, August 22, 1872
Among the new buildings being erected in Chicago, few are more worthy of notice, than the “Garrett Building” on the corner pf Market and Lake streets, not for the building alone, which is large, finely proportioned, and substantial in every respect, but for the history connected with it, and the use to which the rentals are to be appropriated.
The building is of brick, 130 by 180 feet, which fronts upon both Lake and Market streets. and is four stories in height above the basement.
The first floor is divided into five apartments, a part of which are already rented by well known firms of the city, and will be occupied in a short time. These apartments are all lighted by splendid plate glass windows, which in connection with the iron pillars which support the front, add much to the handsome appearance of the building. The floors of the building are supported by nearly 150 columns iron and wood, and are reached not only by several flights of stairs, but by some 8 or 10 elevators in different parts of the building. The upper part will be used for offices, and other purposes.
It may be interesting to know who owns the building. It is the property of the “Garrett Biblical Institute,” an Evanston institution, devoted to the instruction of the 150 students who occupy “Heck Hall,” and are fitting themselves at school for the work of the ministry.
The funds for the founding of this Theological institution were given by Mrs. Eliza Garrett, a woman noted for her devotion to the cause of religion.
Who Gets The Benefit.
The rent of this property, amounting to thousands of dollars every year, is devoted to paying the professors in the theological afore-aid.
The site of the “Garrett Block” is one of historic interest to the people of Chicago. It was as will be remembered by the “old settlers” of Chicago at the site of the old Sauganash Hotel, which in 1835, when Mr. Augustus Garrett came to Chicago, was one of the three hotels of the place, the others being the “Tremont” and the “Green Tree.” The latter is still standing on Canal street. In front of this Sauganash Hotel, the Indians were accustomed to gather and engage in speculations on their “Board of Trade,” in the barter of furs and game for powder and lead, and ay the close of “call,” to join in q dance and pow-wow upon the sward, which carpeted Market street.
Later, the old hotel disappeared, and in 1860 the first building ever erected in the United States especially for the use of a particular convention or party movement, took the place of it. This was the old Republican Wigwam building, which covered the whole lot, and consequently corresponded in size with the present new building. It was built in thirty days time, and occupied by the National Republican Convention, which nominated Abraham Lincoln in spite of the determined opposition of some of the eastern States, who earnestly presented their several claims and merits. This “wigwam” was afterwards fitted up for stores,and rented some three years since, when it was torn down and the Garrett Building No. 1 was erected, of which the present is in size and form an exact counterpart. This was destroyed in the great fire of October, and the new one, through the untiring efforts of the trustees of the institution, will be ready for occupancy before the anniversary of that event.
This property was, as before stated, owed by Augustus Garrett, who came to Chicago in 1835, from New York, and prepared to make the new city his home, or at least his headquarters. He was a genial, generous-hearted man, especially fond of jokes and a general favorite