History of Chicago, A.T. Andreas, 1884
Rand, McNally & Co., the well-known printers, engravers, electrotvpers, and map and book publishers, take their origin from a printing establishment opened, in 1856, at No. 145 Lake Street, by William H. Rand, the senior member of the firm. Mr. Rand, in 1860, consolidated with the Tribune job department, at No 51 Clark Street, and assumed the superintendence. In this capacity he continued for eight years, when he and A. McNally, with others, formed a partnership, to establish a printing and publishing house under the firm name of Rand, McNally & Co. In 1873, the firm was incorporated as a stock company, with a capital of $200,000, under the same name, and has since assumed such large proportions, that it is now one of the largest printing houses in this country, with a surplus capital of over $300,000. October 9, 1871, when located at No. 51 Clark Street, the establishment was burned out, but business was resumed temporarily at No. 108 West Randolph Street, until 1873, when the company moved into their own quarters at Nos. 79 and 81 Madison Street. This building becoming too small, they erected a five and six story building, ninety by one hundred and ninety feet, at Nos. 148 to 152 Monroe Street, which the company has occupied since January, 1881. William II. Rand is president and treasurer, A. McNally is vice-president and general manager, and the superintendents of the various departments are as follows John Reid, ticket department ; T. C. Ilavnes, job work; R. A. Bower, map and atlas publications; James McNally, book publications and school maps; R. B. Marten, wood engraving; C. R. Williams, Bankers’ Directory, Bankers’ Monthly, and Business Directory John Ludwig, stationery and blank books. Among some of their celebrated publications may be mentioned the Atlas of the World, Business Atlas of the United States and Canada, large scale-map of the United States, Banker’s Directory, Lumbermen’s Guide, and a map of every country on the globe. The Rand-McNally Railway Guide is known and used the world over.
Rand McNally Building
Chicago Tribune, July 14, 1868
A RETURN TO THE OLD ORDER OF THINGS.—No one thing is more universally necessary to all kinds of people, than writing paper and envelopes. Next to food, anything else can better be dispensed with. But stationery has of late been an expensive necessity thirty to fifty cents per quire for commercial note has long been the ruling price. We are pleased to state that the well-known stationers, McNally & Co., 81 Dearborn street, will sell from this date, the best commercial note at from 10 to 20 cents per quire, cap and letter paper from 20 to 30 cents, and envelopes, best quality, 10 to 15 cents per package. These were the old prices which gave this establishment so much reputation in times gone by. One of the largest stocks of paper-covered and cloth-bound novels in the city can be found there, which are being sold very cheap to make room for a new stock. Their counters are laden with new books just from the publishers.
Chicago Tribune, September 24, 1871
THE OLD DEARBORN SCHOOL
building, of which so interesting a historical sketch was printed in The Tribune of yesterday morning, is at last being torn down, to make way for the splendid new business block to be erected by Messrs. Rand, McNally & Co. The new building will have 130 feet front on Madison street. It will be five stories high, and the front will be built of Cleveland brown stone. On the ground floor it will contain three stories, having frontages of 53 feet, 28 feet, and 51 feet respectively. These are to be finished in black walnut, and be in every respect such as will attract first-class retail trade in all such business as characterize Madison, State and Dearborn streets. On the second floor will be eighteen offices, suitable for all kinds of office business. The building will be furnished with elevators that will be accessible from each store, and in every other respect be one of the finest business blocks in the city. Messrs. Rand, McNally & Co. expect to have it ready for occupancy by April 1.