Young America Hotel, Revere House (1857), McCormick’s Building (1860)
Life Span: 1853-1871
Location: Randolph, southeast corner Dearborn
Architect: John M. Van Osdel
Chicago Tribune, April 9, 1860
The Revere House.-We learn that C. H. McCormick, Esq., has purchased the Revere House of Postmaster Cook for $65,000 cash. The lot is 50 feet front on Randolph by 100 feet on Dearborn street, and is in all respects one of the “finest corners” in the city. We understand thot the new proprietor will transform the building into stores immediately alter the first of May.
Chicago Tribune, April 14, 1860
We learn that the announcement in this paper of the sale of the Revere House and of certain contemplated changes by the new owner, has led to the belief that it is to be closed soon. Such is not the fact. It will be continued by its present proprietor, under whose management it has become popular with the traveling public.
Young America Hotel
Chicago Tribune, April 23, 1860
A NEFARIOUS PLOT.
Terrible Political Revelations all the way from Cincinnati!
C. H. McCormick, Esq., inventor of the Reaper which bears his name, Virginian by birth, Pro-Slavery man by choice, proprietor of the Chicago Daily Herald, straight out Democratic paper—grand chief Hiagator of the Democratic party of Chicago and Cook county, and now the owner of the Revere House—the Hotel referred to below, which he purchased of Ike Cook, will be surprised to see how easily the Douglas organ which we quote bus transmogrified him into a Black Republican, Chairman of the Republican State Central Committee, and general stake-holder of the corruption fund by which Douglas is to be beaten at Charleston: Read!
A gentleman from Chicago, well known in this city, where he formerly resided, and whose character for intelligence and respectability stands high, assures us that a combination between Isaac Cook, the Postmaster at Chicago, and other Federal officials, with the Republican leaders of Illinois, having for its object of defeat of Senator Douglas at Charleston, undoubtedly exists. The plan of these allies is as follows:
The Republican leaders in Illinois, through the Chairman of their State Central Committee, have agreed to purchase of Cook a hotel in Chicago which he owns, called the “Young America, for the sum of $65,000, if the defeat is effected. It is said that $15,000 has been paid by a third party, through the direct aid and sanction of the Chairman of the Republican State General Committee, to Mr. Cook, who has left for Charleston, via Washington, with the funds. More is promised and arranged for, on the basis that Cook will be able to made it tell against Douglas. Cook is sanguine that, with material aid, he will succeed, and the Republican Chairman offers to back him with ten times that amount of money. The title papers for the purchase of the hotel are understood to be in the hands of the Republican Chairman of the Committee before alluded to. The statement made by our informant is confirmed by Mr. Cook’s conduct at Washington. The New York Tribune’s Washington correspondent thus notices him there:
“Ike Cook’s mode of argument against Mr. Douglas is the offer of large bets that he will not be nominated. If he could get them taken much might be done to prevent the nomination by a judicious distribution of the prospective proceeds.
His plan is to bet with influential delegates to the Convention whose action would be predicated upon it! In the campaign of 1858 it is known that Cook and his clique were in constant conference with the Republicans to elect Mr. Lincoln, Republican, to the United States Senate, in the place of Mr. Douglas. The confederates have common aligns. Cook and his followers are actuated by personal hate of Mr. Douglas, while the Republicans know that if he is nominated at Charleston they will be beaten in the Presidential election, and thus lose what they are anxiously expecting, the spoils of the General Government.
Of stuff like this, is the bullying, boasting and shrieking of the Douglas men made up. Mr. McCormick, whom we have correctly described above, bought the Revere House (“Young America”) something more than a month ago—much too short a time for the ripening of the consequences which the Enquirer hangs upon his purchase. That sheet tells a score of very foolish und very ridiculous lies. It is its vocation.
Chicago Tribune, November 4, 1861
Dr. Van Buren can be consulted daily at his rooms in McCormick Building, corner of Randolph and Dearborn streets.
Map of the Business Portion of Chicago
Chicago Tribune, May 26, 1864
Third National Bank has removed (from No. 156 Lake) to the office in McCormick’a building formerly occupied by A. C. Badger & Co., Southeast corer of Randolph and Dearborn streets
Chicago Tribune, January 7, 1864
The Piano Trade in Chicago—A Bet, How Made and Decided.
We have before referred to the great piano enterprise embodied in Reed’s Temple of Music, in McCormick’s marble block, occupying three stores fronting on both Dearborn and Randolph streets. It is a new thing, not for Mr. Reed, who has been twenty-five years in the business, but for Chicago to see a great salesroom with the best instruments of half a score of makers in store, to the number of from fifty to one hundred pianos, of all prices and styles, from the grandest Grand of Chickering to the cheaper, but still, sweet-toned instrument of other maker, It makes a show to look in through plate windows upon long ranges of instruments, and perhaps for lack of room, to see pianos literally stacked one upon another, choice instruments from Chickering & Sons, John McNeil, J. P. Hale & Co., Ernest Gabler, Ihlseng & Narvesen, United Piano Forte Makers, and others whose reputations are world wide.
Naturally, the establishment attracts great attention, not only among strangers but residents, and this gave rise to an incident yesterday worth narrating, though a little out of the ordinary course, for two or three reasons. It is one instance, and not invidiously given, as to the extent of the piano trade in this city. It is a proof of how Mr. Reed’s enterprise is appreciated within the first few months of its existence here. The sight of Mr. Reed’s great salesroom thus filled elicted a discussion among two passers-by.
“Big thing; got pianos enough to last him five years.”
“He will sell them in six months.”
“Bet you ten dollars be don’t sell one piano a day.”
“Make it twenty, and I’ll take you up, and go in and see.”
It was done, and with a great deal of circumlocutory apology the case was referred to Mr. Reed. It is not every day that a business house is willing to answer such questions; but on this occasion the strange proceeding of the strangers was not rebuffed. Reference was made to the books, and an accurate count taken, with the following result, which we give, for reasons above named. The house has received, within the last three months, two hundred and twenty-eight instruments. It actually sold in the month of December sixty-seven pianos, or in all eighty-eight instruments. This for a war time, for a new establishment, in a young city like ours, is doing pretty well, and on all these accounts deserves to be “made note of.” It shows that those who have been “waiting until they could go to New York, to buy a piano from a large assortment,” have found themselves accommodated precisely in that way, nearer home.
Chicago Tribune, January 13, 1864
A Musical ‘Change—A great piano bazaar, where the finest instruments of half a score of the most popular makers are on sale, furnishes attractions in the first instance to all in quest of an instrument, who prefer (as who would not), a large stock to select from. But secondarily, such an establishment must become the haunt of music lovers, a Music “Change so to speak. This is indeed descriptive of Reed’a Temple of Music in McCormick’s marble building, and in addition to the triple store, opening on both Randolph and Dearborn streets, a freshly added feature is the Teachers’ Room on the second floor, an elegant suite of apartments for teachers and the pupils, central, easy of access from all parts of the city, ample when reached, and from all these qualities filling a desideratum long felt. Here Florence Ziegfeld, the accomplished pianist, just arrived from abroad, has already organized the classes that are to receive his skilled tutelage. Among other teachers to be found at these rooms, Mrs. E. G. Bostwick, known and esteemed by hosts of friends in this city, has arranged here to meet her pupils. Mr. Reed deserves high credit for the liberality and taste with which he has realized all he promised for his establishment, in the selection of its name, “The Temple of Music.” Already its priests are numerous, its pilgrims many, Its offerings of the best.
Chicago Tribune, May 16, 1864
Reed’s Temple of Music.—Mr. Reed, who has made his Temple of Music in McCormick’ marble building, on the corner of Randolph and Dearborn street, the Mecca of musical pilgrims from throughout the West, is enlarging the sphere and increasing its attractions by an addition the people will appreciate. One of the three stores that make the great establishment on the Dearborn street front, has been elegantly fitted and furnished within readiness for a complete stock of musical wares, which Mr. Reed is now absent at the East securing. Twenty-years’ experience in the piano trade both manufacturer and dealer, have given bum a familiarity with all its details which inures to all hie patrons, since he offers them their choice from among the finest instrument of more than a round dozen of the Boston and New York makers. The music loving can soon by the forthcoming extension of Mr. Reed’s field, find his ware rooms general music emporium for all kinds of musical wares. The liberality and skill with which Mr. Reed is building up his music house will not fall to be appreciated.
Chicago Tribune, April 20, 1865
The Emancipation Proclamation.-It is well known that the Emancipation Proclamation issued by our late lamented President and presented by him to the first Sanitary Fair, was purchased by Thos. B. Bryan, Esq., for the sum of $3,000, and by him given to the Soldiers Home as a source of revenue. The facsimiles are genuine, being duly attested, have an excelled photograph of Mr. Lincoln, together with his autograph, and it is believed that thousands of our citizens, at this time especially, would like an opportunity of purchasing a copy: and what loyal household would be without one? They can be had at the following places.
- Reed’s Temple of Music, 88 and 90 Randolph street and 69 Dearborn street.
Ward & Lewis, 192 Washington street.
Munson, Skinner & Co., 140 Lake street.
John McNally, 81 Dearborn street.
Nowlin & McElwaln, 57½ Clark street.
History of Chicago, A. T. Andreas, 1885
A. Reed & keeping with the progress of modern art, and especially in those branches of artistic mechanism which require rare and peculiar ingenuity and adoption, Chicago is not at all behind the older cities of the East. In this connection we can refer to the firm of A. Reed &; Sons, manufacturers and dealers in pianos, as being typical representatives of that branch of industry. The house is one of the oldest in the West, having been established in 1842, by the founder, Alanson Reed, opening a music store at the corner of Randolph and Dearborn streets. That quarter of the city was the fashionable promenade and retail center of trade, and Mr. Reed did a very properous business. In 1862, his sons, Alanson H. and J. Warner Reed, were admitted into partnership, and the name and style of the firm has ever since been A. Reed & Sons. At the breaking out of the War, the firm had established branch houses at St. Louis, Mo., and Nashville, Tenn. The former store was in charge of Alanson H Reed, and the Nashville branch was managed by Marvin Reed, a brother of the senior Reed, and who died in 1884. The store at Nashville was confiscated, and the firm closed up their business at St. Louis, the son, A. H. Reed, coming to Chicago, where he has since been located. In the great fire of 1871, Messrs. Reed & Sons suffered the same loss that thousands of others did, but instantly resumed their business bv opening a store over a livery stable in the vicinity of Sixteenth Street, near Michigan Avenue. The firm had adopted te site of Reed’s Temple of Music for their house, and in 1872, they erected a building in conformity with the above name, at the corner of Van Buren and Dearborn streets, which they occupied until 1878, when they removed to State Street. They were located in the Palmer House until 1880, and then changed to their place of business. No. 136 State Street. The house is in its forty-third year, and its business has constantly grown, until they now average sales of one hundred and fiftv instruments per month. The life-long experience of the firm of A. Reed & Sons gives them an advantage of knowing just what is needed in their business.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Map