Life Span: 1869-1871
Location: 158 N. Clark, Cor. Clark and Ontario Street
Chicago Evening Post, September 6, 1869
Improvements in the North Division
Several important additions to the number of buildings on North Clark street have been made this season, and the finest block on that thoroughfare is just receiving its finishing touches. Reference is made to the Purple block, on the corner of Ontario street. The front is of marble, and a counterpart of the new Monroe building, corner of South Clark and Monroe streets. It is four stories high, with a fine basement. The front is of marble, and the rear and side walls of brick. The design is plain and elegant. It presents an imposing and prominent appearance, and is an ornament to the growing part of the city in which it is located. There are four large stores on the first floor, which will be the best on the North Side when opened.
On the corner of North Clark and Ontario streets, Mr. John Windheim has had constructed a fine four story and basement brick and cut stone building, 40×74 feet. On the ground floor will be two elegant and commodious stores. The building is one of the most substantial in the city, and adds much to the appearance of the street. Mr. M. Smith the architect, has had the carpenter work in charge, Mr. Barker the mason work, and Ald. Rafferty the gas fixtures and plumbing.