Richmond House 1856 – 1871
Photographer: John Carbutt
Location: NW Corner South Water and Michigan Streets
Located corner of South Water Street and Michigan Avenue, has recently been renovated and refurnished throughout in splendid style, and is supplied with all the comforts and conveniences of a first-class house. The Prince of Wales selected this house as his place of sojourn during his stay in Chicago. Its location near the Great Central Depot, together with the beautiful avenue upon which it is situated, render it a most convenient and delightful stopping -place for travellers. Kichard Somers, proprietor.
In 1860, the Prince of Wales (King Edward VII) was entertained here. It was closed before the Great Fire and converted into a business block.