Briggs House I
Architect: John M. Van Osdel
Location: NE corner of Wells and Randolph Streets
Life Span: 1856-1871
Chicago Tribune, February 7, 1866
THE BRIGGS HOUSE.—
The Briggs, which has ever succeeded in uniting those rare elements of hotel character, popularity and respectability, is about to materially increase its claims to public patronage. During the coming season it will be raised some four feet two inches to grade, the lower part completely remodelled, and the entire house refurnished at an expense of some fifty thousand dollars.
The Briggs House being raised
The Americans at Home, by David McCrae, Scotland, 1867
Great blocks of masonry in some parts of the city have been lifted up from four to fourteen feet. The Brigg’s House, a gigantic hotel, was rasied four and a half feet, and new foundation built below. The people were in it all the time, coming and going, eating and sleeping the whole business of the hotel preceeding without interruption. The Tremont House, another large hotel, was lifted the same way.
Chicago Illustrated, July, 1866
Brigg’s House Menu
The Great Fire at Chicago—Scene in Wells Street—The Terrified Populace in Front of the Briggs House—Which has just Caught Fire
Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper—28 October 1871—From a sketch by their Special Artist
History of Chicago: From 1857 until the fire of 1871, by Alfred T. Andreas, 1884
The Briggs House, occupying the same site, both before and after the fire, was built in 1853, by William Briggs, and its first proprietors were George H. French and John Floyd, who opened the house in April of the following year. Messrs. Floyd and French conducted the house until in May, 1858, when, having been seriously crippled, financially, by the panic of the preceding year, they were forced to dispose of their interest to W. F. Tucker and J. H. Silsby. Mr. French, being an old and experienced hotel man, was retained in the house as manager under the new firm, and, in fact, was connected with it in various capacities, under its different owners, until his death, which occurred in this city in April, 1870. His former partner, Mr. Floyd, went South, to Montgomery, Alabama, where he died sometime during the War. Mr. Tucker remained the proprietor of the Briggs until, in 1867, B. H. Skinner, formerly of the old Metropolitan, assumed control, which he retained until June 17, 1871, when it was purchased by W. F. Wentworth and C. D. Woolworth, who were its proprietors when it was destroyed in October of that year. It is said of the Briggs House that, from the time of its opening and until it was burned, it had always proved a source of profit to its proprietors. The most unfortunate men ever connected with it were Messrs. Wentworth & Woolworth, who lost their all on the memorable 9th of October.
Aurora of the Valley, Newbury, Vermont, July 1, 1871
We notice that Mf. Frank W. Wentworth, formerly a clerk in the store of Hatch & Tuxbury, in this place, is now one of the proprietors of the Briggs House, Chicago, Ill., in the firm of Wentworth, Woolworth & Co. The house sustains a high reputation and can accomodate 400 guests, having 250 rooms. Travelers to the West will find at the Briggs House every reasonable comfort, and in Mr. Wentworth, they will have a genial and attentive host.
Chicago Tribune, October 14, 1871
The Briggs House is at the Laclede Hotel, near Madison street bridge, where hosts Wentworth & Woolworth can be found ready to entertain guests.
NE corner of Wells and Randolph Streets