History of Chicago, Rufus Blanchard, 1900
THE CHICAGO CHRONICLE
Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 28, 1895) through Vol. 13, no. 4 (May 31, 1907).
By Charles C. Seymour
On the purchase of the consolidated Times and Herald, for many years the democratic morning newspapers of Chicago, by a republican who announced his purpose to conduct the Times- Herald thereafter as a republican newspaper, the Chicago Chronicle Co. was organized for the purpose of publishing a democratic morning daily and Sunday newspaper to occupy the field that had been abandoned. John R. Walsh, who had formerly been the principal owner of the Herald, became largely interested in the Chronicle, and gave it its financial strength. Horatio W. Seymour was publisher and Martin J. Russell was editor, both of them being stockholders also in the new enterprise.
The first issue of the Chronicle appeared May 28, 1895. It is probable that the Chronicle began business better equipped mechanically and financially than any other newspaper enterprise of which there is any record. It is published in a five-story building at 164 and 166 Washington street (near Halsted), of which it is the owner, and its plant is one of the largest in the United States. It has twenty-four typesetting machines, and its press work is done on six double Potter presses, each having an output of 20,000 eight-page newspapers per hour.
From its first issue the Chronicle was of regulation morning newspaper size, the issue being twelve pages ordinarily during the week, sixteen pages on Saturday and from forty to forty-eight pages on Sunday. Within seven months from the date of its first publication the edition of the Sunday Chronicle exceeded 100,000 copies, and it has been maintained at that and even a greater figure most of the time since.
Chicago Chronicle Illustrated Weekly Supplement
August 3, 1902
While the Chronicle has been a powerful advocate of democracy it has never been an organ, and, owing to its sound money views, it was unable to snpport Mr. Bryan, the candidate of the regular democracy in 1896. Aside from the financial question, it has been in harmony with the democratic party, and it is the great newspaper of that political faith in the northwest.
Mr. Seymour, the publisher of the Chronicle, was formerly in the employ of Wilbur F. Storey, the owner of the Chicago Times, and later was connected in an editorial capacity for many years with the Chicago Herald, in which newspaper he was also a stockholder.
In one respect the six weeks during which the consolidated Times and Herald abandoned their old time democratic faith and became republican, and the Chronicle came into existence, was the most novel and interesting in the history of the Chicago press. It is certain that never before was an American city of 2,000,000 of people left without a democratic newspaper, and it is probable that such a circumstance never will arise again. If the defection of the Times-Herald was sudden and unexpected, the appearance and growth of the Chronicle was prompt and wonderful. Unlike every other great newspaper in the world, it was born great. It never was small. Its financial resources were large. Its equipment was extensive. Its field was open and undisputed. Its success was immediate and unquestioned.
As a matter of information, valuable chiefly to newspaper men of the future who may have curiosity on the subject, it may be stated that the Chronicle began business with a paid circulation of 35,000 copies, daily and Sunday, a larger number than many newspapers of long standing in various large American cities ever have obtained, and this was secured for its first paid edition, wholly without canvassing. It properly represents and measures the field that was entirely abandoned to the new comer—that is, the number of people in Chicago and vicinity who, without solicitation, improved the first opportunity to buy regularly a newspaper of their own political faith. Canvassing and other energetic methods soon doubled this circulation for the daily Chronicle and trebled it for the Sunday Chronicle.
The Chicago Chronicle Co. is officered as follows: A. W. Green, vice-president, and Horatio W. Seymour, secretary and treasurer. The same gentlemen constitute the board of directors.
Story of Chicago Im Connection with The Printing Business, Regan Printing House, 1912
CHICAGO CHRONICLE, 1895-1908:
Upon the merging of the Times with the Herald there was left no advocate of the policies of the Democratic party in the city, and this fact influenced Horatio W. Seymour and Martin J. Russell, two newspaper men of experience, to start the Chronicle, the first issue appearing on May 28, 1895. From the first the undertaking was a success, the paper quickly forging to the front. The financial controversy of 1896 over the silver issue interfered with the progress of the paper and the difficulties which its principal owner, Mr. J. R. Walsh, encountered seriously hampered the prospects of the paper and it was forced to suspend.