< --Previous Up Next–>
Bush Temple of Music
Life Span: 1900-Present
Location: 800 N. Clark Street
Architect: John O. E. Pridmore
Bush Temple of Music Building, 1910
It is the Chicago-Clark Building, formerly known as the Bush & Gerts Building and the Bush Temple of Music Building, at the NW corner of Clark & Chicago.
Built in 1901 and the architect was John O. E. Pridmore. This building was the headquarters and showroom of the Bush and Gerts Piano Company, one of Chicago’s leading piano companies and is an example of the importance of piano manufacturing and sales during the late 19th and early 20th centuries when Chicago was the leading piano manufacturing center in the world.
The building is a rare large-scale example of French Renaissance Revival-style architecture, an unusual style in both Chicago and the United States. The building was designated a Chicago Landmark on June 27, 2001. It is presently under consideration for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2014 there was a plan to renovate the building, but it seems that the building is in worst shape than originally thought.
Bush and Gerts Piano Catalog, 1908
From 1922 Chicago Central Business and Office Guide
THE CHICAGO CLARK BUILDING
800-810 NORTH CLARK STREET AND 100-112 WEST CHICAGO AVENUE
A RECONSTRUCTION OF THE FORMER BUSH TEMPLE BUILDING. FIFTY PER CENT OF PREMISES TO BE AVAILABLE UPON COMPLETION.
Building—The corner is improved with a six-story brick, steel and terra cotta building 100×150 feet of substantial construction and very pleasmg exterior. The first floor contains 12 stores, most of which Will also have display frontage on the handsome marble and plate glass Arcade, which opens from the center of the Clark Street side and leads directly through to the main lobby of the Chicago Avenue entrance. There are also five shops facing the Arcade only. From the lobby a marble stairway leads to the second floor which is fitted out especially for doctors, surgeons and dentists and has every appliance installed that is required by these professions.
The following car lines intersect and pass this property: Clark StreetdLineoln-Berwyn, Lincoln-Downtown;
No. 22—81st-Halsted, Clark-Howard, Clark-Wentworth; No. 3—47th-Lake Park, Lincoln-Berwyn; Broadway-Downtown, Clark-Devon, Ogden-Madison, Clark-Dewey, 26th-Kenton, North Avenue-Clark; Chicago Avenue east to Pier; Chicago Avenue, downtown and switch.
Within two blocks East and West the following car lines afford an additional service to this property:
Wells St.—Ravenswood-Rosehill, Lincoln-Downtown‘ Clybourn’Belmont, Harrison-State; No. 2—Clybourn Belmont, 79th-VVentworth, Sheffield-Wells. Taylor-Western; Chicago Avenue to loop and west to Austin. State St.—-State St.; No. l—Broadway-Howard, 55th-Lake Park.
Bush Memorial Building
The factory of Bush & Gerts, piano makers, occupies a block of ground at Dayton and Weed streets, Chicago. The business was founded by the late W. H. Bush, who conducted it for a short time under the name of W. H, Bush & Co. In 1906 the Bush A Gerts company, which had previously
been incorporated, was made a million-dollar corporation. The officers of the company are William Lincoln Bush, president; John Gerts, secretary and treasurer; W. S, Miller, vice-president, and C. R. Stone, Fargo, X. D., second vice-president. The executive offices and warerooms of the company are located in the Bush Temple Conservatory of Music, at the northwest corner of Clark Street and Chicago Avenue. President Bush is one of the leading piano men of the United, States and has occupied high official positions in the National Piano Manufacturers’ Association.
Dayton and Weed