Life Span: 1913-Present
Location: 14 East Jackson
Architect: Marshall & Fox
Chicago Tribune, April 10, 1910
The new Lytton building to be erected by Henry C. Lytton of the Hub promises to be one of the handsomest buildings in Chicago. It will occupy 81×144 feet at the northwest corner of State street and Jackson boulevard, will be twenty stories high, and will represent an investment of $1,500,000. The plans were prepared by Architects Marshall & Fox. The exterior will be polished granite and glazed terra cotta. The facade is developed in Italian Renaissance, terminating in two towers, Florentine-Gothic campanile. In these two towers will be located the sprinkler tanks, elevator machinery, etc., usually housed in unsightly penthouses, so that these essential items of equipment of building will become in this structure the means of beautifying and diversifying the skyline instead of distracting from the appearance of the building, as in most cases. The first three or four stories will be devoted to stores and shops with separate elevators. The upper floors will be used for offices. The interior will be elaborately finished in marble, mosaic, and mahogany.
LEFT: Chicago Tribune, April 10, 1910
RIGHT: Inter Ocean, November 24, 1913
Inter Ocean, November 24, 1913
The financing of the new Lytton building at the northeast corner of South State street and Jackson boulevard was taken care of by the banking house of Greenebaum Sons’ Bank and Trust company.
The Lytton building is an eighteen story store and office building which Henry C. Lytton & Sons are erecting as a permanent hom for the Hub clothing store, now located on the opposite corner. Eight floors and two basements have been reserved for the owners’ business and the balance divided into shop and office space, the annual income of which is estimated at $50,000. The security is valued at not less than $3,500,000.
14 East Jackson