< --Previous Up Next–>
Stanton & Co.
Life Span: 1870-1871
Location: SE Corner Madison and Clark
Chicago Tribune, November 1, 1870
Opening of Stanton’s New Store
Yesterday afternoon a number of gentlemen visited, by special invitation, the new corner of Madison and Clark streets, which was then opened for the first time. Lawyers, railroad men, merchants, and journalists were present, and united in praising the handsomest and the most perfect grocery store in this city. The Lake and State street stores of this firm have fine goods, but they cannot compete in beauty and richness of appearance with this new one.
Stanton & Co.
Photo above may not be the Clark and Madison Location
This store has a frontage of 23 feet on Clark and 76 on Madison, and, with its basements below, which are used for the storage if wines, liquors, etc., affords ample accommodations. With many large windows, and a profusion of handsome chandeliers, it is well lighted by day and night. Doors on Madison and Clark give an easy means of access. That which first attracts attention is not the large and airy room, the piles of cigar boxes, bottles, and standard goods, but the admirable finish of counters and cases. They were the work of H. Liebenatien & Co., No. 167 and 169 Randolph street, who displayed fine artistic taste and good judgement in their choice of materials and the manner of employing them. The woods used are black walnut and ash, and the former, where it occurs in counters, etc., is very highly polished. The cashier’s desk, which stands in the centre of the room, and facing east, is a fine specimen of their work, and its rich simplicity would not be out of place in a church. The walnut panels are beautifully veneered. The bins are of ash, very delicately finished, and harmonize with all the other appointments. The floor is made of strips of black walnut and ash, laid in geometrical patterns. Taken as a whole, this store is something more than a mere place for the sale of goods. It is a triumph of good taste, reflecting credit on the men who did it, and the firm which ordered it. The total cost of these appurtenances was about to $10,000.
These sumptuous cases and shelves are not unfitly furnished. We all know the high reputation that the articles sold by Stanton & Co. have always enjoyed. There is nothing lacking in their ample assortment, and all is excellent of its kind. Their great specialty, however, is imported cigars. The house has always been celebrated for them, but it is their intention to do still better than heretofore. They have a special agent at Havana, who is constantly procuring for them the finest products of Cuba. All brands are to be found in the northern part of the store has been set aside for their sale. They will also make a specialty of wines and liquors, of which they have great quantities on hand, and all the first quality. There will also be found, of course, all goods which form part of a grocery business.
After an inspection of the store by the guests, they were invited to partake of an oyster lunch, spread by Kinsley, which, like all of his efforts in that line, was most excellent. That disposed of, the company separated, gratified by what they had been—by these evidences of the enterprise of this Chicago firm, and of the way in which the public has sustained it.