< --Previous Up Next–>
Smith & Nixon’s Hall
Life Span: 1864-1871
Location: Washington and Exchange Streets
Architect: Otis. H. Matz
Chicago Tribune, December 29, 1865
Smith & Nixon’s Hall.—A fiune block was completed during then past year, under the architectural supervision of Otto H. Matz. It is four stories in height with basement, and is constructed of brick relieved by cut stone dressings. The block has a front of 108 feet on Washington street by 183 on Clark.
In the centre of the block is the large hall used during the summer and fall for public purposes, but now destined to be converted into commercial uses. Its chief fault has been, that its peculiarly distinct echo has been a nuisance, while the glare of the unrelieved whitened walls and ceiling was decidedly unpleasant to the eyes. The edifice cost over $100,000.
Smith & Nixon Building Ruins