Population | 1837 | 1847 | 1853 | 1863 | 1869 | 1876 | Map |
The city was approaching 100,000 people and more area was needed for housing and industry.
|1st||South||Chicago River||31st St||Lake Michigan||State St|
|2nd||South||Chicago River||31st St||State St||Clark St|
|3rd||South||Chicago River||31st St||Clark St||Wells St|
|4th||South||Chicago River||31st St||Wells St||Chicago River|
|5th||West||Randolph St||Harrison St||Chicago River||Western Ave|
|6th||West||North Ave||Randolph St||Chicago River||Western Ave|
|7th||North||Fullerton Ave||Chicago River||La Salle St||Chicago River|
|8th||North||Lake Michigan||Chicago River||Wolcott St||La Salle St|
|9th||North||Lake Michigan||Chicago River||Lake Michigan||Wolcott St|
|10th||West||Harrison St||Chicago River||Chicago River||Western Ave|
Notes: Bold indicates city limits. The 7th Ward extended north to Fullerton between Sedgwick and LaSalle Streets. North of the Chicago River, State Street was named Wolcott Street.