The second newspaper established in this city was the Chicago American, which was first issued as a weekly newspaper on Monday, June 8, 1835, by T. O. Davis. The size of the pages was 15-1/2″ x 21-1/2″, containing six columns. The issue was announced as to be made Saturday morning, the second and subsequent numbers being issued on that day. The date under the caption of the first issue is given as May 8, 1835, but in the editorial column is a statement that by error of the printer May was inserted instead of June. The place where the office was situated was not given, but in an advertisement of Frederick Thomas, he states that he is on Water Street, near the drawbridge, two doors from the American office. Like the Democrat, the American pledged itself to the work of internal improvement, but differed in political creed by contemporary, and was hostile to the dominant party.
The American had its outside dated December 26, 1835, in the issue purporting to be of that date. It was, however, issued December 25, 1835, as is stated on the inside pages, in order that the public might receive the President’s message printed in that number as soon as possible. This number is an instance of a common custom in those early days, which was to print the outside sometimes previous to the date of issue, and leave the inside to be struck off when it was required. In the number just preceding the close of the first volume, it is announced that a semi-weekly issue will also be made with the commencement of the new volume. On 12 October 1836, the American displayed an eagle, between the words “Chicago” and “American” on its heading, with a scroll in its beak and the motto hyphenated on the scroll, “E. Pluribus Unum.”
Leave a Reply