Back to The Automobile in Chicago
Motor Age, February 2, 1911
It is fitting that the national show should be held in Chicago, for without a doubt is the hub of the motoring universe in the distribution of the products of the industry. Detroit has it beaten in every respect as a manufacturing center of course, while New York’s claims to supremacy lie in the volume of business done, but, it is unquestioned that more cars are sold through Chicago agencies and branches than from any other one city in the country. It is quite a task to get a correct census of the different makes of cars handled in cities like Chicago and New York because in each there are small concerns in the outlying districts which seldom are heard of along the row. It is only at show time that the round-up takes place and an effort is made to estimate the motor strength of a metropolis.
Changes on Chicago’s Row
Such a round-up this year shows clearly how Chicago has outstripped its great rival on the Atlantic coast. No less an authority than Alfred Reeves, general manager of the Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers, places New York’s strength as eighty-four different makes of pleasure cars whereas in Chicago a careful count discloses 118 different makes of pleasure cars in the motor mart, while there are probably at least fifty different makes of commercial ma chines sold in the Windy city. This shows quite a percentage of increase over the final report of 1909, when there were 101 makes of pleasure cars and thirty makes of commercial machines handled in the big city which houses the national show. Going still further back and taking in 1908, it is discovered that in that year. there were but eighty-one different makes of pleasure cars and only a mere handful of commercial vehicles.
While all this of course is pleasing news to the Chicago tradesman, yet the most interesting phase of the situation at the present time is the wondrous change that has taken place in Chicago’s row since the last show. In that brief space of time there has been established a substantial southern colony so to speak, which in itself composes a row of which any metrop olis might well be proud. Since 1909 there have been erected south of Twenty-second street, which used to mark the limits of the row, many magnificent structures which are devoted solely to the sale of motor cars. This move on the part of many of the large dealers has produced what might be called a friendly rivalry among the tradesmen, some exploiting the wondrous advantages of the southern end of the row, while the other declare that the old locations north of Eighteenth street are the ones that produce the busi ness. Indeed, it might be likened to a gigantic tug-of-war, the southerners, well established, coaxing their old friends in the northern section to join them, while the stand-patters are trying their level best to hold their own and perhaps win over a few recruits.
It looks like an even break at the pres ent time with the southern colony in habited by representatives of the higher priced cars and with that section containing the finest buildings. But not with standing the defections from the northern end of the row there never seems to be any vacant stores left on the hands of the landlords. As soon as any one moves to the southern end, some other dealer comes along and grabs the old locations, the result being that Chicago’s motor row at the present time is at least 11.2 mile in length and with the stores on both sides of Michigan avenue.
Since the last show the southern colony has been strengthened by the annexation of the Packard, Overland, Brush, Thomas, Speedwell, Stoddard-Dayton, Peerless, White, Detroit electric, Fiat, Alco, Apperson, Amplex, Kisselkar, the combined Stevens-Duryea and Hudson agency, Enger, Moline, Marmon, Marion, Moon, and Pope-Hartford agencies, while the Corbin Matheson agency has taken possession of its new store just south of Twenty-second street.
CHICAGO’S WONDERFUL ROW
Addition to colony gives nearly 2 miles of motor car stores in Michigan avenue.
Another peculiarity of this moving craze, if we may call it such, but one which tends to make the row a solid line of stores, is the recent invading of the territory on Michigan avenue between Eighteenth street on the north and Twenty-second street on the south. Formerly there only was a small patch of stores in this stretch which Tourist, included E-M-F the Oldsmobile, Royal and Locomobile, but now the strength of the territory augmented by the erection of a row of buildings on the east side of Michigan avenue and just south of Twentieth street. In this new building which opens with the show are located the Cino, Empire, Lexington, Oakland, Rayfield, Warren-Detroit and Waverley and Ohio electrics. Some of these are new agencies in Chicago, while others are leaving stores in the north end of the street.
Going into the old settlement—that stretch north of Eighteenth street—one finds but few changes in the building line in the past year. The last 12 months have seen the inhabiting of the new building of the Republic Tire Co., while across the street the Maxwell, Columbia and Alden Sampson are under the same roof. Down near Sixteenth street Adams & Engs have gone into a new structure with the Auburn, while another new building is the one on the west side of Michigan and north of Twelfth street where the Carter car and American are housed and which expects to gain other motoring recruits within a short time.
There have been many changes in stretch north of Eighteenth streets. The Abbott-Detroit and Krit have come in at 1725, being handled by the Centaur Motor Co., which formerly had the Oakland and Moon. Now the Oakland is handled by R. A. Wadsworth & Co., while the Moon is represented by a branch. The American has switched to the Townsley-Comstock Motor Co., at 322. The Apperson has moved from 1240 to its new branch at Thirty third and Indiana, and its old store has been taken by the Elmore, which formerly was handled by Owen Fay. The Benz has become a factor in Chicago trade circles by the opening up of the Benz Motor Co., which shares the quarters of the Hearne Motor Co. which handles the Hupmobile at 1509. The Case and the Garford are two recruits of the year, both these cars being handled by the Morrison Motor Car Co. at 1716. The Cartercar Co. has opened a branch at 324, while at 1470 the Clark.
Some Other Changes
The Cole, Clark and Westcott are handled by the Cole Motor Car Co. at 1470. The Columbus electric has been turned over to the Farrington Automobile Co. at 1344, while the Columbia, formerly handled by Fred Jenkins, has gone over to the United States Motors at 1735. The Cunningham is another newcomer and is off the row a short distance, being located at 577 Wa bash avenue with the James Cunningham & Sons Co. The Dayton electric, repre sented by the Centaur Motor Co. at 1725 Michigan, is another newcomer. The Grout, carried by the Garfield Park Auto mobile Co., has joined the row at 1407 where it shares the quarters with the Im perial which is handled by Ezra T. Wills. The Hudson, formerly handled by the Levy & Hipple Motor Co. along with the Chalmers has been transferred to Louis Geyler who recently moved to 2517. The Hupp-Yeats electric of course is located under the same roof with the Hupmobile at 1509.
The Ideal Electric Co. with the Ideal electric has established itself at 1413 Michigan avenue, while James Levy has put up a separate establishment for the Lozier at business 1501 as the where he Lozier carries Sales Co. on the The McFarlan six has brought about the re. juvenation of C. A. Coey as a dealer and this agency is located at 1424. Formerly Cornish & Friedberg, the concern at 1223 Michigan avenue now is known as Fried berg & Hart, handling both the Schacht and Metz. The Owen of course is coupled with the Reo at 1220, while the Selden is represented at 1409 by the Bullock Motor Car Co. The Staver-Chicago is about to come in at 1466 where it will be handled by F. Benjamin. The Waverley is at 2025. The Pratt-Elkhart is at 1413, and the Rainier at 1532 and the Henry at 1549.
STAMPEDE TO THE SOUTH
Beauty of Chicago’s row enhanced by magnificent new buildings in new territory
It is at the southern end of the many row however, that one finds himself on strange ground but withal among friends, for all around him appear familiar faces. The Alco within the past year has become es: tablished in a magnificent building at 2501. The Amplex has opened a branch at 2429, the Detroit electric is at 2416, the Enger at 2337, the E-M-F and Flanders at 2030, the Fiat at 2349, the Cino at 2007, the Corbin and Matheson at 2210, the Empire at 2025, the Hudson at 2517, the Kisselkar at 2515, the Lexington at 2025, the Marion at 2450, the Marmon at 2447, the Moline at 2329, the Moon at 27.28, the Oakland at 2007, the Overland at 2425, the Packard at 2357, the Peerless at 2500, the Pope-Hartford at 2637, the Rauch & Lang with the McDuffee company at 2457, the Rayfield at 2025, the Speedwell at 2411, the Stoddard-Dayton at 2457, the Thomas at 2259, the Warren-Detroit at 2009, and the White at 2635 Wabash avenue. These all have moved in within the past year and have as neighbors the Brush at 2328, the Cadillac at 2412, the Mitchell at 2334, the Oldsmobile at 2035, Pierce-Arrow at 2420, and the Premier at 2339.
The northern end of the row, by which is meant that part of the street north of Eighteenth street, those that have not moved include the Baker electric at 1219, the Buick at 1452, the Chalmers at 1467, Everitt at 1328, Ford at 1444, Franklin at 1450, Fuller at 1219, Halladay at 1421, Hupmobile at 1509, Jackson at 1219, Knox at 1458, Mora at 1529, Palmer & Singer at 1449, Parry at 1329, Paterson at 1420, Rambler at 1464, Regal at 1502, Renault at 1606, Reo at 1220, Chadwick at 1220, Schacht at 1233, Velie at 1615, Welch at 1452, Winton at 1259, Woods electric at 1408 and National at 1348.
STORES IN OTHER PLACES
Not all the agencies in Chicago are to be found on Michigan avenue
In addition there are several other makes of cars scattered around the city, and off the row. The Berliet finds repre sentation at 499 Wabash avenue, while the Black Crow has headquarters at 1311 Rec tor building. The Diamond T is at 3 Huron street; the Falcar at the factory is 163 North May street; the Firestone Columbus is at 383 Wabash avenue; the Lambert at 221 South Hoyne avenue; the Reading at 315 Fisher building; the Re public in the First National Bank build ing, and the Sears at 1352 West Harrison street.
From this it will be discovered that Chicago is unlike New York in that there are few foreign cars represented in the windy city. The list is a short one and takes in the Benz, Berliet, Fiat and Re nault. Two of these, the Fiat and Re nault, are branches while the Benz is handled by the Benz Motor Co. The Ber liet is carried by Walden Shaw as a side issue to his taxicab business. However, Chicago never has been very strong on the foreign car although within the past year or so since the establishment of branches here the business in imported machines has picked up to a considerable extent.
There are in Chicago two organizations which are working for the good of the industry. One of these is the Chicago Automobile Trade Association which has been in harness for the last 5 years and which represents in its membership nearly all the leading concerns. This association has not undertaken anything in the promotion line since the first year of its existence, that work being delegated to the Chicago Motor Club. Louis Geyler is president of the trade organization at the present time, but an election will take place very shortly when N. H. Van Sicklen, Sr. will succeed Geyler, there being only one ticket in the field. The other trade body is the Motor Truck Association of Chicago, which has been formed this month and of which Henry Paulman is president. The truck people expect to accomplish much good with their organization and at the present time they are bending all their efforts to booming the second week of the show when the commercial motor vehicle will hold sway.
Chicago is again more fortunate than New York in that it has sporting organizations which actually do something. One of these is the Chicago Motor Club which in the 4 years of its existence has been very prominent in the promotion of contests and which has scheduled for the coming season a fuel test on May 25, a hill-climb June 22, a Chicago-New York truck run July 19-29, national stock chassis road races August 25, 26, and a 1,000-mile reliability run October 9-13. One interesting phase of the fuel test which was decided on only last week will be an official trial of benzine as a fuel. There will be three divisions in the run, one for cars using gasoline, another for cars burning benzine and a third which , will be styled the non-contesting division in which makers may try out carbureters which are not stock on the cars on which they are fitted. This innovation is expect ed to produce interesting results.
The Chicago Automobile Club has done considerable along its own peculiar line, and probably the biggest feather in its bonnet is the promotion of the inter-club reliability team match with the Chicago Athletic Association which has done more to interest owners in motoring contest than any other event in the country. The Chicago Automobile Club also maintains an excellently handled bureau of tours which furnishes information to its members.
Motor Age, February 2, 1911
MOTOR folk who are connected with the industry in one capacity or an other have become students of the business, which fact is best illustrated by a study of conditions that exist in metropolitan cities like Chicago and New York where the motor rows are features of the business life. The keenness of the competition has brought a wondrous change in selling methods in the last few years and now the retailing of motor cars has become an art instead of a pastime, and those who posed as salesmen several years back, when in reality they were order clerks, now find themselves face to face with far different conditions—conditions that demand the highest grade of salesmanship and goods of reputation to back it all up. Nowadays the buying public is most discriminating in what it wants, there is no scarcity of cars and salesmen in the leading motor emporiums are called upon to do something more than take orders.
Changes in Conditions
In order to cope with these new conditions the dealers in the metropolitan cities have arisen to the occasion in a manner which bespeaks for them success in this line, but in order to keep in stride with the times these dealers have been forced to cast old fogy methods to the winds and branch out in an original manner which is more in keeping with the difference in business methods of now and a year ago. New stores of a grandeur not looked for two seasons back have had to be built, business methods far different from the old ones have had to be adopted, and salesmen of the brightest intellect have had to be employed in order to meet the competition of the other fellow.
Chicago is a brilliant example of this new style of tradesmanship, and motor people who have not been in the Windy city since the last show undoubtedly will have their eyes opened when they reach Chicago this time and stroll along Michigan avenue from Twelfth street on the north to Twenty-sixth street on the south—a mile and a half of motor row lined on both sides of the street with car agencies, tire branches and supply houses, and undoubtedly the greatest motor car selling thoroughfare in the United States, if not in the world.
FORTUNES INVESTED IN STORES
Magnificent buildings erected in Chicago cater to the retail motor car business
The strangers will find the 12 months have brought a great change in conditions in Chicago, a shifting of the center of gravity so to speak and with the southern end of the row now a brilliant array of handsome buildings which are devoted solely to the motor industry. The strangers also will discover that the past year has brought about many changes in the method of doing business in Chicago. They will find that among the concerns handling the higher priced cars it has been found necessary to open establishments that call for vast expenditures of money and capital. An idea as to the extent to which some of these concerns have gone is shown by the fact that one of them has an investment of $25,000 in its establishment and that simply as an agency and not as a factory branch. It has been found necessary to introduce many new ideas
into the business and to work along far different lines than those which formerly produced big sales and big profits.
Going After Prospects
No prospect is deemed too insignificant to go after and the fierceness of the competition even has forced, or rather brought to the attention of the dealers handling the higher priced lines, the benefits to be derived by sending salesmen throughout the adjacent territory in cars to make personal sales rather than to trust the business to agents in the smaller towns. Indeed, such a trip produces far more business than one would suspect at first thought and it is no unusual thing to find salesmen who have been out on the road this way for 1 and 2 months and who have in that time covered from 3,000 to 5,000 miles on such trips.
Thinking it over, one can readily see why such trips should be productive of much good. Every little hamlet has at least one person who can afford to purchase a car listing in the neighborhood of $3,500 to $4,500, but the trick is to discover this person and then to interest him or her in the proposition the salesman has to offer. A wise salesman is sent out on such an expedition armed with the names of the owners of cars which he represents and that salesman’s first duty upon striking a town is first of all to call upon these owners and give them first opportunity to try out the new models on a short demonstrating trip. Then these owners in turn help the salesmen by telling him of other prospects in the neighborhood as it is no unusual thing for the motor drummer to stay 4 and 5 days in a good sized town and carry away with him orders that he could not have got by any other method.
DEMONSTRATING IN THE COUNTRY
Many sales made by sending representative and car into smaller towns
Demonstrating cars to people in towns on small trips is far easier than handling city folk. In most cases the villagers are satisfied with short rides and usually they have in mind some steep hill or rough spot in their immediate vicinity where they wish to see how the car will perform. A man with a good machine has no difficulty usually in meeting these demands. Also it is found that these country people are as fully alive to the situation as the motorists in the big city and that chauffeurs are in most instances hired to drive the cars of the rich men of the smaller towns. But these chauffeurs are not imported talent, in most cases being boys of the town who have taken a likening to motoring and who have picked up the odds and ends of the profession until they are qualified to care for a car.
It is rather surprising that these missionary trips are confined mostly to representatives of the higher priced cars, but an explanation of this, it is stated that it has been found far better to send personal representatives around in this manner rather than to appoint agents hit and miss for in some cases such agents are found to be either unpopular with their fellow townsmen or else they are not sufficiently equipped to represent the car in the proper manner.
Visit Chicago Stores
But the country agent is learning his business rapidly, which fact is well testified to by Chicagoans who find them called upon daily either to answer long letters from country representatives or else receive personal calls from them and show them through their establishments. The country dealers are filled with pride and hearing of the wonders of Chicago’s motor row come to the Windy city to get pointers before investing their small fortunes in the erection of garages and salesrooms
That they come to a fertile field when they visit Chicago goes without saying, for a trip through the southern end of the row where most of the new buildings have gone up during the past year is well worth anyone’s time. Refinements such as never were thought of a couple of seasons back have been introduced into building methods in Chicago, and the motor establishments will compare favorably with those of any other city of the country and Chicago dealers will not bow their heads even to New York. Chicago has the buildings—that’s a certainty, but it has claimed that in business methods New York has it on the Windy city—although that point is disputed.
Some New York Methods
It is asserted that New York has specialized more than has Chicago in adopting the proper business methods. For instance, it is said that in New York there has a departmentization of business that has relieved the salesman of much worry in taking from him the responsibility of caring for a customer after the car has been sold. In New York a big establish ment is subdivided. One department simply sells the cars, another department handles all repairs and still another takes care of the second-hand business. If a customer has any repair work to be done he does not go to the man who sold him the car, but to the repair department direct. If he wants to buy a second-handcar he goes to that department. Each is a department in itself, but all these units are brought into a composite whole which means a successful business. Chicago, however, is learning fast and there are few metropolitan ideas that have escaped the tradesmen in the national show city.
LIGHTING THE NEW STORES
Two systems, direct and indirect, are used by Chicago motor car dealers
Particularly noticeable about Chicago’s new motor establishments is the lighting effects which have been secured by the intelligent manner in which this important subject has been considered, the result of which is a row which at night blazes with light from beginning to end and which is one of the sights of the great city. On this subject though, the row is divided, some of the dealers favoring one system of lighting and the others another, but both factions depend upon electricity to produce the desired results. The newer scheme of lighting is called the indirect system in which tungsten lamps fitted to a cluster throw their rays first onto the ceiling which in turn deflect them to the room below. This idea is brought out only 2 years ago, but in that time it has gained well deserved popularity. Such concerns as the Stoddard-Dayton, Alco, Kisselkar, and Detroit electric are advocates of this system. The art of lighting a store in this manner is a science and requires the service of a practical electrician to carry out. In the first place the room to be lighted must be decorated in a manner to take advantage of every ray of light. These decorations must be light in tone and care must be taken in placing the lights. Each cluster must be hung with mathematical accuracy and every position of the room studied to get the full benefit of the system. The common practice is to use four tungsten lamps of 100 watts each to each cluster. A room 35 by 60 feet would require six such clusters.
ILLUMINATING THE STORES
Indirect lighting system feature is that no shadows are cast upon the salesroom floor
The feature of this indirect method of lighting is that the light is distributed evenly and that there are no shadows cast. This latter will be appreciated by dealers who often find when showing cars at night that the fine points of body finish are lost by some deep shadow.
The other system of lighting is the direct one which is found in varied forms. Some concerns like the Pierce-Arrow and Fiat in Chicago, use what might be called the beam scheme which consists in placing rows of lamps on the vertical side of rafters in the ceiling, the effect being a soft light which adds greatly to the beauty of the salesroom. Other concerns like the Packard and the Cadillac use the cluster scheme which consists of a series of chandeliers to each of which are attached clusters of frosted incandescents which throw their rays direct to the floor.
There is much difference of opinion as to the relative value of each system, the advocates of the direct style of lighting claiming that theirs is less expensive and the light just as good. Be that as it may, the fact remains that the indirect people claim that they are well satisfied with their bargains and one of them declares that his increased lighting bill is compensated for by the fact that he believes he has an advertisement that makes his store stand out above those of his neighbors. While this man has not kept any comparative figures, he points out that whereas his lighting bill now is twice as large as it was in his old store still he has four times the floor space.
LIGHTS IN REPAIR SHOPS
Clever ideas of electricians make for the safety of the dealer and repairman
The art of the electrician is not confined wholly to the salesroom, however, for evidence of the advance in the lighting of business houses is found in the garage and repair shop. No longer does the wide awake dealer content himself with stringing a row of incandescents in his repair shop, placed at irregular intervals and with no thought of whether or not the workman can take full advantage of the light. There are no unsightly extension lights which run from the ceiling lamps and which either are pulled from their sockets or else trip the workman. Now there are plugs in the side wall about 1½ feet from the floor and placed at intervals of 10 feet, from which run the extension cords which the workmen use around the cars. By this method the repairman always has a light handy and in case he moves the car and forgets to place the lamp out of harm’s way the only damage done is to pull the socket from the plug in the wall.
Another good idea in this line has just been introduced into Chicago and seems particularly valuable in washrooms where there is danger of fire in case one of the bulbs is broken. Such a lamp is placed in the side fixture about 3 feet from the floor and the lamp hangs downward. To protect it from harm the lamp is inclosed in a thick vessel of glass which resembles a miniature mason jar such as fruit is preserved in and which screws into a socket of its own. To still further protect the lamp there is a strong network of wide wire bands which renders the lamp immune in case a car should accidentally be pushed against it.
In other ways also the wide awake Chicago dealer endeavors not only to safeguard his building, but also to introduce devices which will make it easier for his workmen. For instance, one of the new things noted is a device which is used in the repair shop of the Kissel which consists of a zinc-lined box on wheels which is one-quarter filled with kerosene and which is used for washing the grease off parts of the cars that are being repaired. This box being on wheels it is possible to run it alongside the car so the workman is saved many steps. Another advantage is that by using kerosene instead of gaso line the insurance people are satisfied and the rates of insurance are lower than they would be otherwise. The same caution is observed in other places along the row and at the Packard plant in particular is found a good idea—the gasoline room as it is called. This is a well ventilated room which is fireproof and it is the only one in the building in which gasoline s kept. No matter how trivial the cause a workman must go to this room in case he desires to clean any parts with gasoline.’
NEW iDEAS IN THE SHOPS
Crane in place of pit is one of the features found in several Chicago establishments.
The Kissel, Stoddard, Pierce, and several others also make use of cranes in their repair shops which does away with the necessity of having repair pits. At the Kissel place there is a 2-ton crane on wheels which has proven a very handy article about the shop. When a workman desires to jack a car up in order say to fix or take out a rear axle a steel bar is run transversely through the two rear springs and the crane lifts and holds firmly the car while the work on the axle is being done. This same idea prevails so far as the front end of the machine is concerned. Several of these concerns also make use of a dumb waiter which brings all the floors into communication with each other and which is particularly valuable in bringing about rapid transit between the stock room and repair shop. At the Stoddard place the dumb waiter is electrically-operated and can be stopped at any floor desired simply by pressing a button. In this manner a great saving of time is effected.
SOME OF THE MODERN LUXURIES
Comfort of the customer evidently the first thought of the progressive car dealer
Something out of the ordinary is found in the new Peerless store in the shape of an electric passenger elevator which can be operated without the services of a regular elevator operator. This is for passenger service only and runs up four floors. In case a salesman desires to take a customer from the first to the fourth floor he simply pushes an electric button which causes the elevator to descend to where he is, the doors being opened simultaneously with the arrival of the car. The salesman and his customer step on to the car, the salesman pushes the fourth floor button and the elevator ascends to that floor stopping automatically, and the doors open. There is no danger of anyone being injured by this conductorless elevator for the reason that the doors to the shaft all are securely locked and are opened only automatically by the arrival at the particular floor of the elevator.
It is well worth any one’s time to visit the Peerless store and note the new ideas that have been put into execution in providing a place for the retailing of motor cars by modern methods. The new Peerless building is a four-story affair with the main repair shop on the top floor. In addition to a saw-tooth roof with a sky light there is light from three sides which is greatly appreciated by the workmen. Another luxury is that the toilet facilities are of the individual type and with cleanliness the keynote of the entire work shop. In the rear of the building there is a freight elevator 25 feet in width that is capable of bringing up even a huge truck. On the second floor of this building are located the offices of the company and in addition the country business is looked after. Here also are handled the second hand cars. Another Peerless feature is
the shower bath in connection with the lavatory on the first floor and in addition each salesman and clerk has an individual locker.
Some New Wrinkles
In all respects the establishments of the Packard and Stoddard-Dayton are fully as up-to-date as the Peerless. The Packard has many new wrinkles and in its new building will be found every facility for looking after the mechanical end of the Packard business, even to the charging of storage batteries belonging to customers. The Stoddard building is a complete plant in itself including a paint shop, a top making department, a blacksmith shop, wood-working department, and in fact everything that is needed to handle such a big business. Here as well as at the Peerless and other places is a block which is used for testing motors after they have been overhauled and before they are sent out.
SELLING BY MODERN METHODS
Examples of the latest ideas in equipment of some of Chicago’s car agencies
The Pierce-Arrow agency is one of the pioneers at the southern end of Chicago’s row and although it is only a two-story building it is fitted with every convenience. To the countryman who comes to Chicago for ideas, the second floor will strongly appeal. This floor is used for overhauling and machine work and is reached by large electric elevator. The stock room is on the second floor also, and is made accessible from the street by a stairway which permits chauffeurs to obtain any supplies they may want without passing through the salesroom or garage. Throughout the salesroom and garage sockets have been installed in the base board about 10 inches up from the floor. This eliminates the annoyance often caused by the car rolling over the electric light wire when hung from the ceiling, tearing out the sockets. These sockets are of such construction that in case they are caught they will disconnect automatically and not destroy the cable in any way.
STREET MAP OF MOTOR ROW
1911 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map