The Banks of Chicago may with propriety be numbered among the public buildings, and, taken as a whole, are certainly very beautiful as specimens of architecture.
There are sixteen National Banks, with a capital of over $6,000,000, located as follows :
FIRST NATIONAL, S. W. corner Lake and Clark Sts.
SECOND NATIONAL, N. W. corner Lake and Clark Sts.
THIRD NATIONAL, corner Dearborn and Randolph.
FOURTH NATIONAL, cor. Monroe & Custom House PI
FIFTH NATIONAL. 50 La Salle Street.
COMMERCIAL, 55 Dearborn Street.
MANUFACTURERS’, 154 Lake Street.
MECHANICS’, 156 Lake Street.
MERCHANTS’, 36 Clark Street.
NORTH WESTERN, Chamber Commerce Building.
CITY, Chamber Commerce Building.
TRADERS’, 40 South Clark Street.
UNION,, SW corner of Washington and LaSalle Streets.
TREASURY, 66 Washington Street.
MARINE, Lake and La Salle Streets.
BANK OF MONTREAL, 48 La Salle Street.
The first Savings Bank in Chicago was established in 1857. Since then the following have been organized :
MERCHANTS’ SAVINGS LOAN AND TRUST COMPANY, corner Lake and Dearborn Streets
MERCHANTS’, FARMERS’, AND MECHANICS’, 13 Clark Street.
STATE SAVINGS INSTITUTION, 82 La Salle Street.